Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Steven Caswell <st...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/19 00:04:17 UTC

[logging] proposal to add level enumeration

Greetings loggers.  I'm struggling with writing some utility classes
that use logging.  I'm trying to replace my log4j-specific code with the
commons-logging API, and I've run into problems not having exposure of
the Priority class and related methods in Category.  I'd like to propose
the following changes to the commons-logging API:

1. Add a strongly-type enumeration class to represent the logging
"levels" (trace, debug, etc.) called Level
2. In Level, instantiate final instance variables to represent the
existing levels trace, debug, info, error, and fatal
3. Add operations to the Log interface that mimic the log4j
functionality:
	isEnabledFor(Level)
	log(Level, Object)
	log(Level, Object, Throwable)

I'd be happy to do this work if so desired.

TIA

Steven Caswell
stevencaswell@yahoo.com
a.k.a Mungo Knotwise of Michel Delving