Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Emberson <em...@phc.net> on 2002/03/06 03:41:20 UTC

Re: jdk1.4 java.nio.* <--> Seda/Sandstorm

Thanks for the info.

On a related topic, do you know if Tomcat is going to pick up on the work done
on the
Seda/Sandstorm project (which uses non-blocking IO Java - native libraries
presently).

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/sandstorm/

Its event-driven with queues and "stages" (where the work gets done) rather
than the
normal Java approach which is threads.

Richard

Posted by Attila Szegedi <sz...@freemail.hu>.
I'm working on a generic non-blocking server framework based on 1.4 nio
classes with one of its goals being implementing a generic HTTP processor
and an experimental Tomcat connector backend built on top of it. The basic
server framework (connection handling, content buffering, etc.) is already
in place with a test suite that uses the trivial "echo" protocol for
excersising the server; the HTTP support is still in its infancy and
progresses as I can afford time (that is: slowly, considering I have a day
job and a family...). It still lacks some ingredients that are important for
a production-quality system, like overload-protection devices (input
throttling and shedding).  You might want to give it a look at
http://nbserver.sourceforge.net

--
Attila Szegedi
home: http://www.szegedi.org