Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by jie yan <ya...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/25 03:46:09 UTC

iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

I wonder what is the difference between these three component runtime.

Is there the best one which can take over the others, then we could focus
attention on just one solution?

Regards,
drhades

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 05/25/2011 06:00 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Wouldn't it make more sense to add this to the Felix FAQ instead.
>
> In any case I'd be happy to add Dependency Manager to the list if nobody objects.

Well, we can point to it from any number of places, so I'm not sure if
it matters where it leaves. But feel free to add DM and move it where
you want (just update the iPOJO FAQ to point to it instead).

-> richard

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by jie yan <ya...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>wrote:

> On 05/25/2011 09:23 PM, jie yan wrote:
>
>> Maybe that can be called religious flame war, but it's valuable. What we
>> really need in open community is simple and perfect product in technology,
>> but not many repeat manufacturing wheels like some outside companies.
>>

> When implementing any software there are design trade-offs as well as
> different focuses and goals. So, even though the wheel may look like a
> reinvention, it is not generally the exact same wheel, only similar. While
> it would be great if we could always agree on a single design and set of
> trade-offs, the likelihood of that is slim.
>
> I agree with that.

The current problem maybe that, we cannot easily see enough information
about the trade-offs of each design and comparisons of them.

We can also dive into the application and implementation of each solution,
to find out the better one, to love and support one of them, or even to
reinvent a better one based on existing design.
While that's quite high cost, if there are no enough comparative information
about design trade-offs that can be easily accessed.

Regards,
drhades

-> richard

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 6/8/11 11:16, Peter Kriens wrote:
> Obviously everybody needs all these goodies you mention. However the choice is to do this in iPOJO with a new "language" and new semantics

Actually, there is no new "language"...the annotations are basically the
same as the ones you like for DS...but, yes, there are some new
semantics, otherwise there'd be no new functionality. :-)

-> richard

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.
Obviously everybody needs all these goodies you mention. However the choice is to do this in iPOJO with a new "language" and new semantics attached to it or do it in Java. I am very familiar with the semantics of Java and the pain of the redundancy in Java over iPOJO in this area has not been high enough to make this switch seem desirable.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.
I guess you'd rather have someone write your app as well? :-)

The beauty of it all is that you you could actually write your perfect manager and it would work seamlessly with all the others.

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by jie yan <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

Alasdair Nottingham

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by jie yan <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 05/24/2011 09:46 PM, jie yan wrote:
> I wonder what is the difference between these three component runtime.

They all manage service dependencies. Blueprint and iPOJO provide more
sophisticated features than DS. Each has a different focus or goal.

> Is there the best one which can take over the others, then we could focus
> attention on just one solution?

The best one just depends on your needs. You need to look at the
features each provide and decide which features you need. All three can
work together via the service registry, so you don't have to worry about
making one decision for all time.

-> richard