Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jm...@thekennagroup.com on 2003/12/09 18:17:22 UTC

force JSP to recompile

Hello,

My apologies if this question has already been answered.  I've gone
through the archives, but haven't found a suitable answer.

I am running Tomcat 5 in a production environment and have set
development=false and reloading=false.  Occasionally, I do have to make a
change to a JSP, which then has to be recompiled manually.  I remember
reading a while ago that you can append a parameter to the URL to get a
JSP to recompile (something like page.jsp?compile=true).  Does this still
work in Tomcat 5?  If so, what is the exact parameter?  If there is a
better way to do this, I would like to know.  I have read about using Ant,
but compiling with a URL parameter would be my preferred method.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Re: force JSP to recompile

Posted by Clive Jordan <cl...@openwave.com>.
Yes, I guess so.

I think the reason behind this facility is to allow you precompile JSPs
before the container does it on your behalf, thereby finding errors
before a customer does.

Clive

jmorgan@thekennagroup.com wrote:

>Thanks for the responses.
>
>Sadly, this only seems to work if development=true, unless I am doing
>something wrong.  Doesn't that seem a little redundant, seeing as Tomcat
>will always check for changes and compile when in development mode?
>
>Jonathan
>

>Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>
>09/12/2003 11:28 AM
>Please respond to
>"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

>Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
>cc
>
>Subject
>Re: force JSP to recompile
>

>it's page.jsp?jsp_precompile=true
>as per section JSP.8.4.2 of the JSP1.2 spec
>(or section JSP.10.4.2 of the JSP2.0 spec)
>
>HTH,
>
>Jon
>
>jmorgan@thekennagroup.com wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>My apologies if this question has already been answered.  I've gone
>>through the archives, but haven't found a suitable answer.
>>
>>I am running Tomcat 5 in a production environment and have set
>>development=false and reloading=false.  Occasionally, I do have to make

>>change to a JSP, which then has to be recompiled manually.  I remember
>>reading a while ago that you can append a parameter to the URL to get a
>>JSP to recompile (something like page.jsp?compile=true).  Does this
>>

>still
>

>>work in Tomcat 5?  If so, what is the exact parameter?  If there is a
>>better way to do this, I would like to know.  I have read about using
>>

>Ant,
>

>>but compiling with a URL parameter would be my preferred method.
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Jonathan

Re: force JSP to recompile

Posted by jm...@thekennagroup.com.

Re: force JSP to recompile

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.

Re: force JSP to recompile

Posted by Clive Jordan <cl...@openwave.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

I have not tried on Tomcat 5, but you can force compilation as follows:

http://host:8080/path/to/required/file.jsp?jsp_precompile=true

Cheers,