Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1998/01/24 14:08:11 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 ApacheModuleAuthAnon.dsp ApacheModuleAuthAnon.mak ApacheModuleCERNMeta.dsp ApacheModuleCERNMeta.mak ApacheModuleDigest.dsp ApacheModuleDigest.mak ApacheModuleExpires.dsp ApacheModuleExpires.mak ApacheModuleHeaders.dsp ApacheModuleHeaders.mak ApacheModuleInfo.dsp ApacheModuleInfo.mak ApacheModuleRewrite.dsp ApacheModuleRewrite.mak ApacheModuleSpeling.dsp ApacheModuleSpeling.mak ApacheModuleStatus.dsp ApacheModuleStatus.mak ApacheModuleUserTrack.dsp ApacheModuleUserTrack.mak

Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yeah well my point was that maintaining by hand isn't that hard.  If you
> weren't using the MSVC IDE then you'd just be adding something to one line
> in one Makefile I'm sure... because your makefiles would actually use some
> of the features of make.

Your example is, I think, a massive oversimplification - because of
the different subdirectory levels.  Some added lines need ".\", some
need "..\", and some need "..\..\" prefixes.

> My example could have been changed to edit the .dsp files instead.

But then it takes someone with DS to do the export, so part of the
work is done on UNIX and part on Win32, rather than all on Win32.
You want to be a hero?  Write a Perl script that will export the
.mak files from the .dsp files the way DS does - then we can all do
all the work from the command line. <G>

> If the makefiles are autogenerated why do we even have them checked into
> CVS?

Can the build be done just from the makefiles without setting up or
moment; if I did, would I just be able to install DS, load the
source tree, and do an nmake without having to learn DS?  If so,
there's your answer.  If a Win32 developer *has* to learn DS in order
to build this stuff, then there may be no point in keeping the
makefiles  in CVS.

#ken	P-)}