Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Wadsworth, Eric (Contractor)" <wa...@fhu.disa.mil> on 2003/11/15 14:02:25 UTC

Building subversion server: a puzzle

Hello,

I've got a new box (Sun Ultra-10 running Solaris 8) solely to host
Subversion, and I'm trying to get 0.33.0 installed on it. And it's a puzzle!

This box is not connected to the outside internet, so I can't check out a
working copy of subersion. I downloaded the source tarball, and am trying to
go from there. I'm using the "INSTALLING SUBVERSION - A Quick Guide" as my
documentation.

First of all, I installed Apache 2.0.48 and got it up and running (this, of
course, required days of figuring stuff out, including installing a bunch
more packages and patching the OS). I also installed BDB 4.1.25 and python
2.2.2.

In the "build requirements" section of the document (I.), it says that: "On
Unix systems, the './configure' script will tell you if you are missing the
correct version of any of the required libraries or tools, so if you are in
a real hurry to get building, you can skip straight to section II."

Unfortunately, there is no configure script in the source. Maybe this was an
oversight? At any rate, there is a configure.in file there, and it says that
it can be processed with autoconf to make a configure script. Okay, so I
installed the autoconf 2.57 package. When I run autoconf, it complains that:
"sh: build/getversion.py: not found". And indeed, there is no such file. The
configure script it generated is broken, and here I sit.

Where did I go wrong?

****
**** --- Eric Wadsworth, 520-533-2749
****

Re: Building subversion server: a puzzle

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 08:02, Wadsworth, Eric (Contractor) wrote:

> Unfortunately, there is no configure script in the source. Maybe this was an
> oversight?

Huh?  What are you talking about?

$ tar xfz subversion-0.33.0.tar.gz
$ ls subversion-0.33.0/configure
subversion-0.33.0/configure*

> Where did I go wrong?

Did you delete it or something?  Are you using a real tarball?

You can always recreate ./configure by running ./autogen.sh (as the
INSTALL file explains.)  But then that requires a whole bunch of auto*
tools to be installed.  Only developers typically run ./autogen.sh.  You
shouldn't have to, because we did it for you, before rolling the
tarball.

Re: Building subversion server: a puzzle

Posted by Anthony Baxter <an...@interlink.com.au>.

As you've since discovered, Sun's "tar" is at fault. There's two "fixes"
for this (for the svn project) --
  - try to build a tarball with something compatible with broken vendor
    'tar' programs
  - put great big warnings on the download page about it <wink>

We do something like the latter for Python - see, for instance, the
second item on http://www.python.org/2.3.2/bugs.html#build

Anthony

--
Anthony Baxter     <an...@interlink.com.au>

Re: Building subversion server: a puzzle