Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Martin Higham <ma...@ocasta.co.uk> on 2012/03/21 21:48:41 UTC

New version of the Facebook auth plugin

Our CouchDB Facebook authentication plugin has been available for a while
during this time a number of shortcomings and problems have been
identified. We have now rewritten this plugin in a more generic manner so
that we can easily add other external OAuth authentication services such as
Twitter. Unfortunately the changes we have made to how we store the data in
the _user database means that it is not compatible with the existing
Facebook plugin so we have called this version the XO_Auth plugin (eXternal
OAuth).

Some of the features of the new version:

-  it is easy to have a single _user record that contains, OAuth tokens, a
username/password and also to be used to let the user authenticate with
Facebook

- when creating a document in the _user doc after Facebook authentication
the assigned username is based n the users's Facebook name

- Access token storage is optional

- support for the deprecation of the Facebook offline access and support
for extending token life

- simpler configuration by making the first call direct to Facebook

- clear separation of the Facebook support and generic XO_Auth code

It can be found on GitHub at https://github.com/ocastalabs/CouchDB-XO_Auth

This version has been tested with CouchDB 1.2 only

Re: New version of the Facebook auth plugin

Posted by Gert Cuykens <ge...@gmail.com>.
pleas merge browser id into CouchDB-XO_Auth so it does not mess up
_user docs :)

beta upgrade request for
http://gert.iriscouch.com/
http://wouter.iriscouch.com/