Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Wai <bz...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/02 13:56:47 UTC

plugin and hotdeploy

Now that the plugin is in place for ofbiz.  Is there a difference between
hotdeploy components and that of plugins components?
Thanks

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
> Software documentation is always written for a target version of a
software
> product and most of the users understand and accept that some of the
> information in an older book may not be applicable to newer versions of
the
> software.

That is not the point.  Far as I can tell, there is no reason why you
couldn't keep a "functioning" hot-deploy directory and still encourage
folks to migrate to plugins.  Still, there are a lot of people and
companies that are NOT running the bleeding edge version of ofbiz, and have
no immediate plans to migrate and convert.  They have employees and
training systems, which obviously use and refer to previously written books
and wikis.

This is my point.  Do no harm.  Keep things backward compatible as much as
possible.  There are more users than dev folks.

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Rishi,

That's quite a good idea and good news.  IIRW, there is already a start for such things, right?

BTW, I think we should use as much as possible the Confluence history to avoid to duplicate things and have to maintain them.

My 2cts

Jacques

Le 24/04/2017 � 12:26, Rishi Solanki a �crit :

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your feedback and raising your concerns. Perhaps the word
"useless" might not have been the best choice in the commit log. I would
maybe use the word redundant instead.

I would suggest that perhaps it is a rather minor thing to realize that
everything is the same but under /plugins instead of /hot-deploy. So maybe
this is not a big change that would take anyone hours or days to figure out
:) It's just a different directory name for consistency's sake.

Regarding discussions, I would like to highlight that this topic came about
multiple times in multiple threads and there was consensus to proceed in
order to unify how OFBiz is extended in addition to other benefits. Just
search JIRAs and the ML for discussions on plugins and hot-deploy to get an
idea. And by the way, this stuff is not left undocumented. Take a look at
README.md and it will explain to you how to create and manage plugins in a
good amount of detail.

With respect to existing documentation, may I suggest that it is simply
outdated and requires update? Books, wikis, blogs and even code gets
outdated eventually and hence everything should be revised and updated. If
you stop changing code just because there is material out there then you
cannot improve anything! I would suggest that this is a good opportunity
for book authors to update their material and publish new books.

Finally, there were massive changes in OFBiz over the past year or two far
beyond just hot-deploy. Examples? Gradle, Unit-Tests, Plugin Manager,
Remote Libraries, Deprecated Components, Deprecated Minilang, rename domain
to org.apache.ofbiz, and many more! All of this material needs to go into
new books and publications.

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Good discussion for sure.

IMO, no one would like to use Trunk for an ongoing development of custom
apps. Choosing an official release helps here.

OFBiz is going through a major phase of improvements and all of these are
being done only in trunk, which is perfectly fine.

If you are subscribed to OFBiz Wiki(Confluence) Daily Updates, you will
observe there are ongoing changes to the documentation being taken care of.

I agree that there will be some effort required to keep it up to date and
to make it ready for future releases.

We should define a documentation framework as well, that can be maintained
along with the code in trunk, which is available to users when a specific
release is announced.

When one application is to upgraded to any of the latest releases of OFBiz,
there are definitely a bunch of changes you have to take care of, this time
it would require some changes to the placement of custom applications,
which is not going to be a big effort.

In the software world, making a small change is a big deal when it has many
users, but sometimes you have to take the risks because it's going to
benefit users in future. I personally have witnessed long email threads on
dev list before making these changes in directory structures or replacement
of tools like from ant to gradle.

So yes IMHO, change is always not that easy.

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
Senior Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

RE: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Skip,

RE: plugin and hotdeploy

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by james yong <i_...@yahoo.com.sg>.
Not sure if hot-deploy folder is also removed in release 16.11.
We can update confluence with a notice on the change, in each affected wiki
page.
Similar to what was done when Gradle is introduced in release 16.11 and
onwards.

The special-purpose and hot-deploy folders are essentially combined into a
plugins folder which is easier understood by new users, in my own opinion.

Regards,
James Yong

Mike Z wrote

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Wai <bz...@gmail.com>.

Re: plugin and hotdeploy

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Are you referring to "Trunk"? If yes, then no there is no difference. We
will start discussing this in dev@