Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Andreas Schildbach <an...@schildba.ch> on 2003/02/12 22:51:19 UTC

Installing SVN Server on Windows using just binary distributions?

Hello everyone,

is it possible to install a working SVN server on Windows XP using just
binary distributions? (I can't afford Visual C++)

I've already tried downloading and installing:

apache_2.0.44-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
svn-0.17.1-r4503-setup.exe

Installations went smooth, and Apache answers requests on port 80.

Local creation of a repository using "svnadmin create /svnroot" was no
problem, too.

Now I want to network Subversion:

I tried to add the line

LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so

and copied the mod_dav_svn.co from <Subversion-install-dir>/apache2/modules
to <Apache2-install-dir>/modules, but each time I try to start Apache2, it
fails.

The Apache2 error log just tells:

[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2544
[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Child process is running
[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Acquired the start mutex.
[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Wed Feb 12 23:23:44 2003] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
Shutting down the server.
[Wed Feb 12 23:23:44 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Exit event signaled. Child
process is ending.

Can anyone help me, please?

Regards,

Andreas

Re: Installing SVN Server on Windows using just binary distributions?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Andreas Schildbach wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>is it possible to install a working SVN server on Windows XP using just
>binary distributions? (I can't afford Visual C++)

It should be possible, yes.

>I've already tried downloading and installing:
>
>apache_2.0.44-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
>svn-0.17.1-r4503-setup.exe
>
>Installations went smooth, and Apache answers requests on port 80.
>
>Local creation of a repository using "svnadmin create /svnroot" was no
>problem, too.
>
>Now I want to network Subversion:
>
>I tried to add the line
>
>LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
>
>and copied the mod_dav_svn.co from <Subversion-install-dir>/apache2/modules
>to <Apache2-install-dir>/modules, but each time I try to start Apache2, it
>fails.
>
>The Apache2 error log just tells:
>
>[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2544
>[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Child process is running
>[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Acquired the start mutex.
>[Wed Feb 12 23:23:40 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Starting 250 worker threads.
>[Wed Feb 12 23:23:44 2003] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
>Shutting down the server.
>[Wed Feb 12 23:23:44 2003] [notice] Child 2544: Exit event signaled. Child
>process is ending.
>
>Can anyone help me, please?

I suspect you have to either copy libdb40.dll to
<Apache2-install-dir>/modules together with mod_dav_svn.so, or set your
PATH to point to the directory where you have libdb40.dll.

Re: Installing SVN Server on Windows using just binary distributions?

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 13 February 2003 18.52, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> I'm afraid this still does not work. Starting Apache2 via the Service
> Monitor results in the message: "The requested operation has failed!"
>
> Can't imagine what to try next. Due to the lack of senseful error
> messages I have no idea.

Whats the description of the service when you check it's service entry
from the control panel. Does it mention mod_dav and the svn module?

Have you tried to uninstall and install the Apache distribution?

Jostein

Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

Re: Installing SVN Server on Windows using just binary distributions?

Posted by "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <se...@pisem.net>.

Jostein Christoffer Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 15 February 2003 17.17, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>>I really don't know if and how the system PATH is seen by services.
>

> Not me either.. :-) (I'm investigating the subject).

In the Control Panel -> System -> Environment you can see the system and
user environments. System environment is what services see when they
start, including PATH etc. That's why BTW in NT they used temporary
directory as c:\winnt\system32 instead of c:\temp -- because TEMP
variable was only defined in the user-specific environment and wasn't
present in the system one.

Re: Installing SVN Server on Windows using just binary distributions?

Posted by Sergey <se...@pisem.net>.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Saturday 15 February 2003 17.17, Branko Čibej wrote:

> I really don't know if and how the system PATH is seen by services.

Not me either.. :-) (I'm investigating the subject).

> Oh, by the way -- there's another thing we'll have to take care of for
> 018, and that's installing the apr-iconv charset conversion DLLs, and
> setting APR_ICONV_PATH so that svn can find them Would it help if I
> sent you a preliminary package, so that you can get the installer
> working?

Yes, that would be really great! And also where your compiled binaries
come from if they are builded somwhere in your Subversion wc, then I can
make the best possible defaults for the file:
   packages/win32-innosetup/templates/paths_inno_src.iss

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Jostein Christoffer Andersen wrote:

>On Friday 14 February 2003 23.23, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>>Apache is a service on NT-type Windows, which means it does not see
>>either subversion's path, only the system path. The installer should
>>register libdb40.dll as a "well-known DLL", whatever that means.
>>

>For apps, Windows searches for DLLs at:
>* The .exe file directory.
>* The current directory.
>* The %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32 directory.
>* The %SystemRoot% directory.
>* The directories in your Path (wich means that it should
>  find libdb40.dll because the Subversion path are in %PATH%).
>
>KnownDLLs are DLLs who should be found elsewhere and it's place in the
>registry is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.
>
>I have no idea why somone can't get this thing to work when libdb40.dll
>are in the path so I will make the installer register the DLL anyway (it
>won't hurt). It's possible that the people who had trouble with this
>should have restarted the machine (even XP still needs restart in some
>cases), I must read and learn more on this.

I really don't know if and how the system PATH is seen by services.

>I will probably have to register the ssh dll's

You mean OpenSSL :-)

>as well. This will be done in time for the 0.18 release.

That's great.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Friday 14 February 2003 23.23, Branko Čibej wrote:

> Apache is a service on NT-type Windows, which means it does not see
> either subversion's path, only the system path. The installer should
> register libdb40.dll as a "well-known DLL", whatever that means.

For apps, Windows searches for DLLs at:
* The .exe file directory.
* The current directory.
* The %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32 directory.
* The %SystemRoot% directory.
* The directories in your Path (wich means that it should
  find libdb40.dll because the Subversion path are in %PATH%).

KnownDLLs are DLLs who should be found elsewhere and it's place in the
registry is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.

I have no idea why somone can't get this thing to work when libdb40.dll
are in the path so I will make the installer register the DLL anyway (it
won't hurt). It's possible that the people who had trouble with this
should have restarted the machine (even XP still needs restart in some
cases), I must read and learn more on this.

I will probably have to register the ssh dll's as well. This will be done
in time for the 0.18 release.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 13 February 2003 19.11, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> I solved this problem now by copying over libdb40.dll to
> <Apache-install-dir>/modules.

Great! :-)

I have noticed that some people have managed to make mod_dav_svn.so to
work when it's in mod_dav_svn.so's path or Apache's binary path. This is
strange, because Apache should not have trouble to find libdb40.dll as
long as libdb40.dll are in the subversion path (wich should be in the
system path).

This seems to be a relative "new" problem and I don't think that I will
do anything about it now. However, I think that I will make and include
in the distro an troublechooting file and write this thing (and some
other items to) to it.

Posted by Andreas Schildbach <an...@schildba.ch>.

Posted by Andreas Schildbach <an...@schildba.ch>.
I solved this problem now by copying over libdb40.dll to
<Apache-install-dir>/modules.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 13 February 2003 08.16, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> > You may want to try to install subversion one more time, just
> > remenber to stop Apache before reinstalling. libdb40.dll will not be
> > installed/updated if Apache runs with mod_dav_svn.co or another
> > libdb40.dll depended module.
>
> I'm afraid this does not work either. The Subversion install program
> does not do any changes to the Apache2 directory. No libdb40.dll, no
> mod_dav_svn.so and no changes to httpd.conf.

True, the installer do not alter the Apache directory but it will in the
future. Apache are using libdb40.dll in Subversion's Path (or another
libdb40.dll if it's found first) when you are using mod_dav_svn.so.

> On the other hand it did add to my PATH variable (c:\Program
> Files\Subversion).

Did not the installer do that job? In that case: The installer may have a
bug

> Can you please exactly describe what I have to do by hand in order to
> get Subversion working?

I don't see that you have done anything wrong but I have had similar
problems by myself.
I had to uninstall the Apache service from the system and install it
again manually. This is what I did (and I don't know why it worked):

1. Stop your Apache service
2. Open a console window and cd to the apache.exe binary folder.
3. Uninstall the Apache _service_ from your from your system by
   running this command:
      apache -k uninstall
4. Install the service again by typing:
      apache -k install

It looks like Apache have trouble to run if it's installed as an service
before mod_dav_svn.so are included in your httpd.conf file. The
reinstalling of the service should fix this.

Good luck

Posted by Andreas Schildbach <an...@schildba.ch>.