Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/29 05:05:26 UTC

Standalone PhotArk and duplicate UI resources

We currently have photark-embedded and photark-webapp projects, that
provide different ways to run PhotArk (directly from IDE with a
embedded http server, or hosted on a web app server). While I like the
embedded option, we currently have two copies of html and other UI
stuff that need to be maintained and keep in sync, and the way things
are now are not so good. I want to run two options that come to mind
with you guys :

- Create a separate maven project that would hold the PhotArk UI
pieces, and build would be responsible to bring them together in the
webapp and embedded projects, thus allowing having us to only maintain
these pieces in one place

- Just get rid of standalone project and concentrate in the webapp
version we have.

Although I'm inclined to do the second option, I believe the first
option might help us in the long run, as it would allow us to have
multiple package of the webapp without any resource duplication (e.g
one simple war for google app engine, another more heavy one using JCR
repository, etc)

Thoughts ? Does anyone know other projects that might have the same
usage scenario so we can take a look on how they solved the
problem....

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Standalone PhotArk and duplicate UI resources

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com> wrote:
> Hi...
>

> I have to add following dependency in order to deploy the webapps on tomcat
> otherwise i get
> SEVERE: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/LoggerFactory
>
> <dependency>
>            <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
>            <artifactId>slf4j-api</artifactId>
>            <version>1.3.0</version>
>        </dependency>
>
>        <dependency>
>            <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
>            <artifactId>slf4j-log4j12</artifactId>
>            <version>1.3.0</version>
>        </dependency>

Strange, I didn't need those, but I can take a look later...

> One Question:
> Why we are creating photark-ui.war ?.Is it required for the build process...

I guess this is required by maven to do the war overlay as you define
the dependency on a war (e.g the photark-ui) and it will overlay it to
the current war project (e.g one of the webapps).

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.
Hi...

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "avdhesh .java" <av...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:29 AM, avdhesh .java <av...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > As per my Understanding we will have same UI for all versions(google apps
> > engine ,  JCR).What differs is the underline implementations (filesystem
> > based for google engine and JCR based)..We already have seperate project
> for
> > the implementation part..
> >
> > We already have  photark-webapps version for photark UI.
> >

> What I think we might need in the future is :
>
> photark-webapp
>   - this would be a full blow photark application and would be
> suitable for deploying in a app server that does not impose
> restrictions...
>
> photark-appengine-webapp
>   - this would have dependency on the filesystem impl and the photark
> ui, and the would have the necessary appengine configuration side
> files etc

etc....

That means we have following projects.

*photark* : Java Source
*photark-ui* : front end for the gallery and albums
*photark-admin-ui* : administation ui
*photark-webapp*:   configuration side files for deployment on appserver e.g
tomcat , jetty etc
*photark-appengine-webapp*: configuration side files for deployment on the
google apps engine

I agree with these project.

What about  the following structure.

*photark* : Java Source**
*photark-webapp*: photark ui +  administation ui + configuration side files
for deployment on appserver e.g tomcat , jetty etc
*photark-appengine-webapp*: configuration side files for deployment on the
google apps engine.

This allows us only to maintain 3 projects..

> > we can Integrate maven-junction-plugin with the photark-embedded
> > pom.xml.Byusing link goal of this plugin we can have photark ui
> > resources avble for
> > the photark-embedded project..
> >

> http://pyx4j.com/pyx4j-maven-plugins/maven-junction-plugin/introduction.html
> >

> I was thinking on the assembly plugin, that would copy stuff from
> let's say a photark-ui and photark-ui-admin projects into the war...
>

> Thoughts ?
>
> Also, it wasn't clear if you said photark-embedded is needed or not :)

We should get rid of Photark-embedded project and focus on the webapps...

Regards
Avdhesh

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Avdhesh
09873421630

Disclaimer: Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.
Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The
question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is
left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the
reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient. (A discussion
of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope of this
article.)

Re: Standalone PhotArk and duplicate UI resources

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "avdhesh .java" <av...@gmail.com>.