Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> on 2022/12/22 16:49:43 UTC

How can I help?

Pmc of juddi here, which is about to head to the attic.  I am an avid user
of netbeans and am interested in helping out. Is there a good starting
point?

Re: How can I help?

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

first of all welcome!

It mostly depends what you are interested in. NetBeans is a fairly big
project so there certainly is always something to do.

Issues which may or may not be fixable by new(er) contributors are
sometimes marked with the "Contribution welcome" or "good first issue"
label.
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Contribution+welcome%22%2C%22good+first+issue%22

one way to learn something about the project could be to take a look at
some modules which have commented out tests, for example:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/861bbffd98935fe96149472fef28bba7e7bf01cc/.github/workflows/main.yml#L484-L488

it would be good to figure out which of those tests can still run and
enable those who pass again. Most of the commented out tests were
already disabled on travis before we migrated to GH - so I don't think
anyone still remembers why they were disabled. You could take a PR like
#5107 as blueprint.

some tests fail on JDK 11:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/4904
wich need to be configured (java module system) or updated to be
runnable on 11+ but this might be a more difficult task although it
could be potentially done incrementally.

best regards,
michael