Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Pruente Kai <Pr...@ssi-schaefer-noell.com> on 2003/07/23 15:04:43 UTC

Question about late localisation

Hi,

I have a question and suggestion about localisation.
I already found some similar request, but no answer in the mailing list.

Log4j provides the l7* methods for localisation.
However theses methods are converting the key directly into the localised message. I am thinking about having two different localisations for the developers in English and for other users in their native language for the same message by two appender. That means, that the localisation must be done within the appender.

What do you think about this requirement?

Therefor following changes are necessary:

LoggingEvent needs aditional attributes for key, parameters and resourceBundle and a method isLocaliseable(), to take the localisation infos.
Category: an additional forecdLocalisedLog() which uses the new LoggingEvent constructor
Appender:The old appender are working without changes, new appender might get an optional localisation string like 'en' or 'de'.

Before I am startting with the adaptions, I am intersting in your opinion.
Could it be a more common requirement or is it a strange thought of a single person?
Is the above draft changes sensible?

Bye
Kai