Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/01/15 22:32:51 UTC

probably need to update the saving-svn-resources page a bit

This is a new page referred to by the release and checklist-release pages.  It
attempts to document a preferred best practice aimed at using the SVN based
Apache infrastructure for releases and websites, in an efficient way, for
generated things only some of which change from release to release.

After thinking a bit more about this, and chatting with Eddie, I think the best
way to save space is something like this:

1) don't use dist.apache.org..../dev/uima svn spot for "staging" things.  This
is there in case we want to have release candidates.  The problem with using SVN
for anything is that space is used up, forever.  So, imagine we have 8 release
candidates for UIMA-CPP (I think we did), and each one includes several
multi-megabyte (binary) artifacts.  If these were staged to
people.apache.org/~schor/etc. like we do now, the space for the old artifacts
could easily be recovered.

I can't see a good reason for using .../dev/uima. Can anyone else?

-Marshall

Re: probably need to update the saving-svn-resources page a bit

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I pinged Brett Porter (on the ASF Board, knows how stuff works), about this, and
he agrees, there's no particular advantage to using /dev/ - so I suggest not
using it by default (but it's there if it makes sense for some particular activity).

I've updated the release pages, etc. to reflect continuing to post release
candidates on p.a.o/~[userid]/public_html.

-Marshall