Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Aaron Axelsen <li...@frozenpc.net> on 2007/08/24 03:44:24 UTC

Subversion Commit Bug

I am using the command line client, and tonight I tried to commit the
following:

svn commit -m "got event type into the user page somehow, its a miracle!"

The result is: -su: !": event not found

Can anyone else confirm this?  Seems like it could be fixed by escaping
the ! since this works correctly:

svn commit -m "got event type into the user page somehow, its a miracle\!"

--
Aaron Axelsen
lists@frozenpc.net

Great hosting, low prices.  Modevia Web Services LLC -- http://www.modevia.com

Re: Subversion Commit Bug

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.
solution: use svn ci -m ''
( single quotes )

Re: Subversion Commit Bug

Posted by Clemens <cl...@thalesgroup.com>.

Aaron Axelsen wrote:

(...)

Re: Subversion Commit Bug

Posted by Aaron Axelsen <li...@frozenpc.net>.

Re: Subversion Commit Bug

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Aug 23, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Aaron Axelsen wrote:

> I am aware that it has different meanings among various shells.
> However, is it desired behavior for subversion to parse it? Should it
> be escaping it?

Subversion isn't parsing the !.  See the other replies to your post.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies

Re: Subversion Commit Bug

Posted by Aaron Axelsen <ax...@modevia.com>.

Simon Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 22:44 -0500, Aaron Axelsen wrote:
>> I am using the command line client, and tonight I tried to commit
>> the following:
>>
>> svn commit -m "got event type into the user page somehow, its a
>> miracle!"
>>
>> The result is: -su: !": event not found
>>
>> Can anyone else confirm this?  Seems like it could be fixed by
>> escaping the ! since this works correctly:
>>
>> svn commit -m "got event type into the user page somehow, its a
>> miracle\!"
>>

> That is more to do with bash command line expansion than
> subversion. The '!' character has special meaning in bash and other
> shells.
>
> Witness:
>
> simon@simon-laptop:~$ echo "!" bash: !: event not found
> simon@simon-laptop:~$ echo '!' !
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
> are only for the use of the person to whom they are addressed. If
> you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying or dealing in
> any way whatsoever with this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
> have received this e-mail in error, please reply to us immediately
> and delete the document. It is the recipient's duty to virus-scan
> and otherwise test the enclosed information before using the
> information or loading attached files onto any computer system. JDV
> Limited does not warrant that the information contained in this
> e-mail is free from viruses, defects, errors, interception or
> interference. JDV Limited, and each of its related companies each
> reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
> networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
> individual sender, except where that sender specifically states
> them to be the views of JDV Limited. Your private information is
> only used and disclosed for the intention which you have provided
> it for. This information is not disclosed or used unless your
> consent has been provided or in the case that JDV Limited is
> permitted to do so under the Privacy Act of 1988.

- --
Aaron Axelsen
Technical Director
Modevia Web Services LLC