Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Antonia Horincar <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/01 01:06:33 UTC

Re: COMDEV-108 questions

Hi devs,

I apologise for not replying after the GSoC deadline, I had to catch up with some work in the past week. But thanks for the proposal feedback.

I have a few questions regarding the project. How do you intend to install and deploy solr? Is installing and deploying it through brew install/apt-get install fine? (though I don’t know how the installation would be done on Windows). Also, what Java server would you prefer, Tomcat, or Jetty? Jetty is easier to install and configure, while Tomcat is highly customizable. I am doing an in-depth research about the technologies, and would like to hear some feedback about my ideas if possible.

Thank you,
Antonia

On 21 March 2014 at 09:54:57, Gary Martin (gary.martin@wandisco.com) wrote:
On 19/03/14 23:25, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Antonia Horincar <
> antonia.horincar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much Gary, Anze and Ryan for your help.
>>
>> I created a first draft for my proposal, based on the information you gave
>> me and on some further research. I don't think I have the permission to
>> create a new BEP on the issue tracker (or at least I couldn't find out how
>> to create one), so I'm sharing the Google doc link so that everyone can see
>> it (
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mOta9V-8Sn6Jm1-XX9z4nKojfexxFJQ-VNC8XrJZWsE/edit?usp=sharing). The proposal is not yet finalised, I still have to provide more details
>> on the implementation and also provide a timeframe for this project. I know
>> that there's not much time left until the deadline, but I would be grateful
>> if you could give me some feedback on what I've written so far.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Antonia
>
> I'll try to take a look and get back to you within the next 24 hours. You
> can use BEP-0014 on the wiki:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0014

Antonia,

I have had a quick read of the proposal in google docs. There are some
nice bits of detail in there and I particularly like it that you have
included your own assessment of the alternative libraries already. Anze
has made a few comments on that document as well.

The ASF GSoC page (in particular this part [1]) lists the basic
expectations of an application and based on that, I think you are still
lacking an approximate schedule and information about the time that you
expect to have available or commitments that might get in the way.

The application deadline is March 21st 19:00 UTC so only about 9 hours
away now so get it submitted as quick as you can.

Cheers,
Gary

[1] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html#applying-for-gsoc

Re: COMDEV-108 questions

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

On 10/04/14 16:25, Antonia Horincar wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks a lot for your response.
>
> I would like to provide a set of instructions for Solr set up for development and deployment, so that everyone would be able to use my approach for searching.
>
> What are the target platforms for deployment? Should I include Windows, along with Linux and OS X? Would be easier to write a shell script that performs the installation and setup, or just point to a set of instructions?
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Thanks,
> Antonia

You can decide to deploy to windows if you like. If that is the case, it
might well be easier to write a python script rather than a bash script.
If there is any particular complication with this I would certainly have
no problem with you targeting Linux and OS X in the first instance. I
take it that it will be possible to run solr on a separate server so it
certainly shouldn't be the end of the world.

Instructions should be enough but it would certainly be good to get some
changes into the bloodhound setup script to add the ability to switch to
Solr or at least commands documented so that conversion can be done on
the command line.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: COMDEV-108 questions

Posted by Antonia Horincar <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,

On 1 April 2014 at 13:33:04, Gary Martin (gary.martin@wandisco.com) wrote:

On 01/04/14 00:06, Antonia Horincar wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I apologise for not replying after the GSoC deadline, I had to catch up with some work in the past week. But thanks for the proposal feedback.
>
> I have a few questions regarding the project. How do you intend to install and deploy solr? Is installing and deploying it through brew install/apt-get install fine? (though I don’t know how the installation would be done on Windows). Also, what Java server would you prefer, Tomcat, or Jetty? Jetty is easier to install and configure, while Tomcat is highly customizable. I am doing an in-depth research about the technologies, and would like to hear some feedback about my ideas if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> Antonia

Hi Antonia,

I suspect that everyone would be happy with you taking the path of least
resistance with installation and deployment. As long as we can find
enough information to replicate the setup, that should be fine. It could
be good in the long run to have (or, perhaps better, be able to point
to) instructions that will show various options for installation and
deployment but that can be looked at beyond the end of the project if
necessary.

As an ASF project, Lucene are likely to provide instructions for
installing Solr from source and will probably mention one or both of
Tomcat or Jetty in it. If you prefer a package manager based
installation, that should be fine too. Unless you have a compelling
reason to go for Tomcat, if Jetty looks easier then I would go with that.

Hope that is helpful!

Cheers,
Gary

Re: COMDEV-108 questions