Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Jamie M. Guillemette" <Ja...@av-basesystems.com> on 2002/07/22 20:54:17 UTC

Realm Security Question

Ok here is a straight forward question:

I understand how to change my server.xml and setup my web.xml files so that security reaml on my server uses odbc to verify the roles / passwords.

The catch is im not very happy with having to edit the server.xml file. I would like to know if their is anyway to accomplish the same results by editing only files that are contained in the webapps directory. ( the idead behind this is im creating war files and do not wish to have editing the server.xml file as part of the installation procedure of my application)

Thanks,
j.

Re: Realm Security Question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Jamie M. Guillemette wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:54:17 -0400
> From: Jamie M. Guillemette <Ja...@av-basesystems.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Realm Security Question
>
> Ok here is a straight forward question:
>
> I understand how to change my server.xml and setup my web.xml files so
> that security reaml on my server uses odbc to verify the roles /
> passwords.

Off topic comment -- you probably do not want to use ODBC for this, at
least not with the standard JDBC-ODBC driver which is not thread safe.

> The catch is im not very happy with having to edit the server.xml file.
> I would like to know if their is anyway to accomplish the same results
> by editing only files that are contained in the webapps directory. ( the
> idead behind this is im creating war files and do not wish to have
> editing the server.xml file as part of the installation procedure of my
> application)

Tomcat 4.1.x lets you have a thing called a "context configuration file"
that is separate from server.xml, and store one of these in webapps if you
want to (or deploy it via the Manager webapp).

Basically, a context configuration file takes the <Context> element, and
all its nested elements, out of server.xml into a separately maintainable
file -- so you can still configure all the stuff that requires nested
elements in a <Context> element, without having to physically modify the
server.xml file.  And, if you put such a file in the webapps directory,
the corresponding app is auto-deployed just like if you had put a
directory or WAR file there.

In a standard 4.1.x release, the admin and manager webapps are both
auto-deployed from such a context configuration file -- see
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/admin.xml" and
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/manager.xml" for examples of the kinds of things
you can do.

And no, none of this stuff works (or ever will work) on 4.0.x -- it's a
new 4.1.x feature.

> Thanks,
> j.

Craig