Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sachin Mittal <sj...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/01 07:22:04 UTC

Deleting topics in windows - fix estimate or workaround

Hi All,
I hope we are well aware of the critical bug in windows where kafka crashes
when we delete a topic. This affects other areas too like in stream
processing when trying to reset a stream using StreamsResetter.

Right now only workaround I have found is to stop zookeeper and kafka
server and manually delete directories and files containing streams, topics
and offset information.

However doing this every time is kind of unproductive.

I see that there are multiple critical bugs logged in JIRA
around the same issue.

I would like to know by when would the fix be available?
I see that there have been multiple pull requests issued around fixes of
these issues.

I wanted to know if one or more pull requests need to be merged to get the
fix out or if there is something I can try config wise to have some
workaround for this issue.

Please note that there can be few of us who might be using windows in
production too, so this fix is highly important for us.

Please let me know what can be done to address this issue.

Thanks
Sachin

Re: Deleting topics in windows - fix estimate or workaround

Posted by Sachin Mittal <sj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Edward,
I hear you.
So basically we are saying that unless major sponsors of Kafka project get
actual requirement for support on windows this issue will linger on.

Anyway my couple of takes from this issue is:

1. One should not overlook the potential opportunity for windows based
systems.
There may not be much incentive now, but if the software runs seamlessly on
windows, chances for such an opportunity increases.

2. There have been pull requests issued for fix of these issues, question
is how can we prioritize to get them to be merged in order to have a stable
windows release.

Thanks
Sachin

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sachin Mittal <sj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi both,

It’s been going around for a long time, but Kafka is officially not fully
tested and verified for Windows. The disclaimer is on the official site.
Windows servers are easy choice because a lot of infrastructures are on
Windows and a lot of businesses are dependent on those infrastructure. That
said, the forward way is highly likely to be on the cloud using some
orchestrator (Cloud Foundry) or IaaS provider e.g. AWS.

Also, Windows OS has proprietary settings on file systems which is the root
cause of this problem, so Kafka is out of scope for that. I would suggest
that you move to a Linux or UNIX like architecture (if at all possible)

Regards,

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Sachin