Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2013/06/12 13:26:32 UTC

(Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Hi,

One of the things we kicked around at Buzzwords was having a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly dev session via Google hangout (Drill does this with good success, I believe).  Since we are so spread out, I thought I would throw out a Doodle (scheduling tool for those unfamiliar) to see what times work best for the majority of people interested in such a thing.  Anyone is free to participate, but this is not a Q and A session, but is instead focused on writing code, fixing bugs, triaging JIRA, releasing, etc.

If you are interested, please fill out http://doodle.com/gatxxkm7f25fq5y8  (note, all times are Eastern Time Zone since I did the poll!)  I just grabbed a sampling of hours throughout the day.  I also picked 1 week as being representative of this being on a repeating schedule.  If none of the times work for you, but you are still interested, please respond here.  I would imagine we would meet for 1-2 hours.

Also, please reply with the frequency at which you would like to meet:

[]  Weekly
[]  Bi-weekly (every 2 weeks)
[]  Monthly

My vote is every two weeks.

-Grant

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
No worries, next time!

It was a good first attempt, mainly focused around testing 0.8 and getting up to speed on what needs to be tested.

The next time I am available is August 5th.  If others want to meet before then, please do, otherwise, I will send out a reminder closer to the 5th.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Peng Cheng <pc...@uowmail.edu.au>.

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Works for me, thanks for setting it up.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Almost all Apache events and meetings are for everybody, not just
committers.

You would be entirely welcome to attend.

Posted by Pradeep Pujari <pp...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of the things we kicked around at Buzzwords was having a
> weekly/bi-weekly/monthly dev session via Google hangout (Drill does this
> with good success, I believe).  Since we are so spread out, I thought I
> would throw out a Doodle (scheduling tool for those unfamiliar) to see what
> times work best for the majority of people interested in such a thing.
>  Anyone is free to participate, but this is not a Q and A session, but is
> instead focused on writing code, fixing bugs, triaging JIRA, releasing, etc.
>
> If you are interested, please fill out http://doodle.com/gatxxkm7f25fq5y8 (note, all times are Eastern Time Zone since I did the poll!)  I just
> grabbed a sampling of hours throughout the day.  I also picked 1 week as
> being representative of this being on a repeating schedule.  If none of the
> times work for you, but you are still interested, please respond here.  I
> would imagine we would meet for 1-2 hours.
>
> Also, please reply with the frequency at which you would like to meet:
>
> []  Weekly
> []  Bi-weekly (every 2 weeks)
> []  Monthly
>
> My vote is every two weeks.
>
> -Grant

Pradeep

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
We have a good spread of people filling out both versions of the Doodle
:) Here's the one Grant said is the correct one:

http://doodle.com/ymqaiwbh7khisnyv

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.
Not sure, but if we are having it I think we should focus on what's left for 0.8 release.

________________________________
Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.
I am fine with pushing by a week.

________________________________
I'd really like to, but had a trip come up.  If possible, can we push for one week?  Otherwise, if others want to go forward, I can try to set things up and share it w/ others.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Bhaskar Mookerji <mo...@spin-one.org>.
Hi!

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.

--

  -jake

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Let's do it in Ballard :)

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

--

  -jake

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi Mummulla <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
Awesome idea.

Biweekly is great.  I'm normally PST, but I'll be working from UTC+1:00
from June 22-Aug 29, so I'm listing my availability for the summer given
the french timezone.

--

  -jake

Re: (Bi-)Weekly/Monthly Dev Sessions

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
+1, awesome idea

Posted by Ángel Martínez González <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I think this is a great idea! My vote is also for bi-weekly.
As for doodle and timezones, it seems that everyone sees the time zones
adjusted to his/her location according to IP-address or doodle account
settings:
http://support.doodle.com/customer/portal/articles/645367-how-can-i-schedule-an-event-with-people-in-different-time-zones-

Regards,
  Angel