Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Fortunato <to...@futureskills.co.nz> on 2002/06/09 06:11:54 UTC

file permissions on html folder

Hello Everyone,
                       sorry for the newbie question.  I was stupid enough to change the filerights on the html folder.  Now I am getting the 'Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this server.  I tried changing the permissions to 'nobody' but it didn't work.  could someone tell me what it should be please?

TIA

Regards

Tony Fortunato
www.futureskills.co.nz

Re: file permissions on html folder

Posted by Herb Stein <he...@herbstein.com>.
> >>                        sorry for the newbie question.  I was stupid
> enough to change the filerights on the html folder.  Now I am getting the
> 'Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this server.  I tried
> changing the permissions to 'nobody' but it didn't work.  could someone
> tell me what it should be please?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Tony Fortunato
> >> www.futureskills.co.nz
> >

> >Try "chmod 777 -R ../htdocs/"
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Hakkie
> >
> hmmmm.... 777 makes it all "world writeable"... shouldn't the directories
> be 755 and the files 644....???? at least that is what I see.

Hell yes! I'm glad somebody caught that. Nothing should be world
writeable on the web site.

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

Re: file permissions on html folder

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-one.net>.

Posted by Alexander Skwar <li...@DigitalProjects.com>.
So sprach Tony Fortunato am 2002-06-09 um 16:11:54 +1200 :
>                        sorry for the newbie question.  I was stupid enough to change the filerights on the html folder.  Now I am getting the 'Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this server.  I tried changing the permissions to 'nobody' but it didn't work.  could someone tell me what it should be please?

The directory needs read and execute permission for the user running the
apache httpd process.  apache most of the time runs under the user
nobody, but your distribution may have set it up more securely to run
under a special user (most of the time called »apache«).  The name of
the user is set in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.  Look for the »User« and
»Group« directive.

So the directory /var/www/html (or where ever your docroot is) needs to
be at least 7xx, if the owner is nobody or apache (check with ls -la
/var/www/html).

chmod u=rwx /var/www/html

chown nobody /var/www/html
OR:
chown apache /var/www/html

PS: Your line is too long.  Please keep it at ~72 chars/line.  Thanks.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:	http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:	http://www.iso-top.de      |    Jabber: askwar@a-message.de

Re: file permissions on html folder

Posted by Tom Ray <to...@blazestudios.com>.
Try this:

chmod 644  for all your files
chmod 755 for all your directories.

777 allows the entire world to write to those directories or files. If
you want writable files down the road, try 666 or 766.

Posted by hakkie <ha...@pubpower.net>.
Tony Fortunato writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>                        sorry for the newbie question.  I was stupid enough to change the filerights on the html folder.  Now I am getting the 'Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this server.  I tried changing the permissions to 'nobody' but it didn't work.  could someone tell me what it should be please?
>
> TIA
>

> Regards
>
> Tony Fortunato
> www.futureskills.co.nz

Try "chmod 777 -R ../htdocs/"

Regards

Hakkie

Re: file permissions on html folder

Posted by Enric Lafont <la...@jazzfree.com>.
Try instead

<Directory />
 Options None
 AllowOverride None
 Order allow,deny
 Allow from all
</Directory>

Be careful, it's a very dangerous option, please change the "/" (root
directory) for the one where you have htdocs, or the pages you want to
serve.

Enric