Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Barry Barrios <ba...@vt.edu> on 2020/07/07 17:26:10 UTC

geode docker question

Do you have Apache Geode examples using docker? Is there a way to run a
docker container that automatically creates locator and server by
specifying some parameters without typing them in the gfsh shell prompt?
Also, same for deploying jars, is there a way to automatically deploy jars
when running docker? I was browsing through your apache geode examples
github repo to see if there were examples but didn't find what I was
looking for.

Best,
Barry

Re: geode docker question

Posted by Joris Melchior <jm...@vmware.com>.
You might also want to look at docker compose so that locator and server can run in separate containers.

On 2020-07-08, 12:18 AM, "Mark Hanson" <ha...@vmware.com> wrote:

    Here is a command that actually runs..

    You need to be in the Geode directory, the run the command below to start everything.
    docker run -it -v $(pwd):/apache-geode  openjdk:8 sh -c "apache-geode/bin/gfsh -e 'start locator --name=Locator1' -e  'start server --name=Server1'" -c "<run a script of my choice>"

    Thanks,
    Mark
    On 7/7/20, 10:42 AM, "Mark Hanson" <ha...@vmware.com> wrote:

        Hi Barry,

        Are you looking for something like this?

        docker run -it -v $(pwd):/apache_geode  openjdk:8 sh -c "apache-geode/bin/gfsh -e "start locator --name=Locator1" -e  "start server --name=Server1"
        			^ shared location                                   ^ not sure this path is right but you get the idea.

        Thanks,
        Mark

Re: geode docker question

Re: geode docker question

Re: geode docker question

Posted by Bill Burcham <bi...@gmail.com>.
Great (and timely) question Barry! And great answers from Mark and John.

The question is timely because we recently addressed some similar needs in
the development of the new Dockerized acceptance tests for the new TLS SNI
features. I've taken a stab at a tutorial that leverages some of those
ideas to hopefully answer Barry's question here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Using+the+Official+Geode+Docker+Image

It's not perfect (at all) but hopefully it'll give you a few techniques you
can start using!

Re: geode docker question