Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/09 21:48:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] force switching from SVN to GIT

I would like to get your opinion about switching from SVN to Git [1].
At this point Git support is pretty stable. All projects that's requested
to be transferred has been switched so far.

What's your preference?
Should we "force" the switch or wait until (at some time) may all projects
are switched?

I'm +1 to force the switch.

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/switching-to-git.html

Best,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] force switching from SVN to GIT

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
So far this thread was sleepy. I would like to back to it and discuss git "flow" we could use.

Currently we have release branches and trunk which is in general big feature branch. There is no issue branches or separate feature branches for different things we would like support. This lack of issue branches leads usage of svnmerge which allows to have substitute of feature branches. For example when 2.8.x have some important bug fix it must be merged from 2.8.x to 2.9.x branch and 2.10.x. In this process we must exclude things designed only for 2.8.x to don't mess up other things.

In this particular case we don't have to track what was or was not merged to camel-2.9.x or camel-2.10.x from trunk because all things we do have separate branches. Every feature should have corresponding JIRA, just like issues. With git (flow) we can have:
master - master branch which contains production versions, it's place where tags are created
develop - (current trunk) main feature branch contains all stable features which was under development
feature/CAMEL-5422 - new stuff to be implemented
release/2.9.x
release/2.10.x
bugfix/CAMEL-5456

If something should go to 2.9.x branch then we simply rebase (or merge) things to develop and then to 2.9. If we would like start branch for 2.11 we simply pick develop and create branch from it. The only thing not described in "A successful Git branching model" is working with multiple release branches, but I believe we can handle that. Main change with git I expect to see is much more branches and much less merges. ;) The less you merge, the better.

Kind regards,
Lukasz Dywicki
--
Code-House
http://code-house.org

Wiadomość napisana przez aedwards w dniu 11 lip 2012, o godz. 16:11:

Posted by aedwards <ad...@middleware360.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 04:47:37 PM Łukasz Dywicki wrote:
> I am not sure if svnmerge is needed with git. With svn all informations
> about previous commits are lost after merge on new branch so it's hard to
> get the commits included in merge commit. With git where you have
> multiple branches you just use merge without fast forward. In this case
> issues can be hotfixed on branches, then merged to release branches and
> tagged. With whole nice tree.

Depends on what you are interested in.   If all you care about is what HAS
been merged onto a particular branch, sure.   The git tracking (or even the
svn tracking that was introduced in 1.6) is fine.

However, I'm more concerned about the list of stuff that has NOT been merged
onto a branch and that's what the svnmerge tracking provides.  Basically,
for each commit that isn't merged onto a fixes branch, I'd like to know:

1) Is the commit explicitely not supposed to be on the branch due to it
being a new feature or something that cannot be on that branch.

or

2) If not (1), it's likely that it hasn't been reviewed for inclusion on the
branch.   Did the developer forget to merge it back.

Basically, the extra information makes sure fixes get merged onto each of
the branches where they should be and things don't get forgotten or missed.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] force switching from SVN to GIT

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--