Posted to dev@milagro.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2018/04/08 14:16:09 UTC

[VOTE] Retire Milagro

All,

This is a call to vote to retire the Milagro podling.

Here are the documented problems:

- Development does not happen at Apache.  This is confirmed in changes like
[1] where you are trying to repoint mirrors away from the Apache hosted
repository into a Miracl hosted repository.
- No board report submitted for months.

[ ] +1 to retire
[ ] -1 to retire

I'll leave this open for at least the next 72 hours.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-mfa-sdk-ios/pull/7

Re: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

Posted by Nikolai Stoilov <ni...@miracl.com>.
Hi,

I emailed a draft for the report, let me know if it looks ok or it needs
changing (preferably send feedback to the Report Draft email, not this one).
Also since NTT wishes to take over such tasks, let me know if I can help
you get started submitting the reports in the future.

Thanks,

Nikolai

--
Nikolai Stoilov
NOC/Support Team Lead

Re: Retire Milagro

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 09:39:35 +0000
"Falk III, Thomas" <th...@sap.com> wrote:

> -1
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> As quiet observer of this project, I would truly like to see this
> project continued as it provides a great alternative to commercial
> certificate authorities (CA's) for trust.
>
> After the issues with Symantec (and other CA's) that came out last
> year, I think we are overdue for a functional alternative, which I
> feel Milagro has the potential to fill.

You are right about Milagro's potential to improve online life
(and thank you for commenting).

However, the vote isn't about Milagro as such, it's about whether
Milagro belongs at Apache.  If it retires from here, it will
presumably continue at github, led by Miracl, NTT, and anyone
else who joins their efforts.

--
Nick Kew

RE: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

Re: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello everybody,

Re: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

RE: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

Posted by Go Yamamoto <ya...@lab.ntt.co.jp>.
Hi Nick,

Thank you for understanding the pull-request driven workflow.  We, this
Apache incubator project, need management on operation at
github/apache/incubator-milagro because it is in the critical path of the
pull-request driven workflow.  That is the reason why I am offering the
effort for the management as a participant of the project.

We appreciate if you are happy to take a part in the management too.  I do
not think you are a man-in-the-middle because you have a role that connects
this project with the Apache eco-system.  Let's go forward together.

Regards,
Go Yamamoto

> I agree the infrastructure problem you have pointed out

My problem is that I'm man-in-the-middle here.  I have an incomplete
understanding of what you're looking for, including your first paragraph.

> We NTT request to allow for contributors to work at their own fork
> repository.  All the changes on the code happens at local fork
> repositories owned by each contributor, however, the changes at local
> fork will be pull-requested to the official repo, and the operation
> team at the official repo will review the pull-request and merge it to
> the official.

Yes, that's normal.  Though as much as possible of that forked work should
take place in public repos, too: that's what git is good at!
I'd expect most local private forks to have a lifetime of just a few days -
while the developer works through an issue - before either becoming public
or abandoned.

> If this workflow is OK for everybody here, NTT would like to take the
> effort of operational tasks and managements on the official repo at
> least until we reach the first release.

How is that bringing the work to Apache?

--
Nick Kew

Re: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
How much effort do you need to merge a repo with the old apache ones?
I mean it can be a couple of days 2 people? Do you really merge it or
simply delete and upgrade the new repo? can you use Travis-CI with apache
repos?

Re: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

RE: [VOTE] Retire Milagro