Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com> on 2009/03/26 03:17:26 UTC

How to perform a deploy only

Hello all,

I have several components all built from a top level pom.  This works great for accelerating users to be able to build a lot of stuff quickly but is giving me some fits when trying to deploy.  Up to this point I have been using deploy:deploy-file to get built components into our local repository after a full build is successful, but this is labor intensive.

I would like to be able to run some variation of "mvn deploy" from the top level.  I have figured out how to skip things using the FAQ here:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html#skip

But I do NOT want it to do anything other than deploy.  I have googled for this but have not turned up anything useful.  I was surprised that the documentation does not suggest how to do this.  This is the correct deploy documentation I think.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jim

Re: How to perform a deploy only

Posted by B Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 03:17, Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have several components all built from a top level pom.  This works great for accelerating users to be able to build a lot of stuff quickly but is giving me some fits when trying to deploy.  Up to this point I have been using deploy:deploy-file to get built components into our local repository after a full build is successful, but this is labor intensive.

My Guess: It sounds like you're describing a multi-module build where
the "top-level" pom naming the modules to be built is also parent to
the sub-modules. You want to deploy just the top-level pom, so others
can build against it. Correct? You don't want to deploy all the
sub-modules each time you do this because they may not be in a stable
state.

(1) Have you considered "mvn --non-recursive deploy"?
(2) You do realize that the pom that defines the modules does not have
to be the same as the common parent pom, yes?

<http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/pom-relationships-sect-multi-vs-inherit.html#fig-maven-book>

// ben

Re: SpeedUp the release process

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hudson deploys our site nightly, we don't publish the site at all with
releases - the release now takes only a fraction of what it used to take
with site deploy (15-20mins compared to 2.5h).

Kalle

AW: SpeedUp the release process

Posted by "Hoehmann, Andreas" <an...@siemens.com>.
how can i define the local directory?
please could you post a pom.xml snippet for that?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
we deploy the site to a local directory and then afterwards copy the site to

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
you could save alot of time try to pull all your static artifacts to localRepository

but this may invite contention as BuildManager is downloading while you may be synch'ing
to shared structures..the solution of a simple lockfile as whomever has the lockfile
would have update access..all others would have read access to repository

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Local+repository+separation

mit freundlichen grüßen
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Disclaimer and confidentiality note
This message is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, we kindly ask you to  please inform the sender. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying hereof is prohibited. This message serves for information purposes only and shall not have any legally binding effect. Given that e-mails can easily be subject to manipulation, we can not accept any liability for the content provided.

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
Brian.

I think what Jim is asking for is very reasonable. You just did a full
install of your multi-module project to ensure they all pass and work as
you expect to avoid encoutering those errors when doing a deploy and
only having 1/2 your projects up on your nexus repo. This isn't as
important for cutting new releases, since there is the release plugin,
but for deploying snapshots it would be nice to ensure all projects pass
all tests before deploying any of them. So running a mvn install, then a
mvn deployOnly work flow I think is very reasonable.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com>.
Stephen,

Ah, this sounds like a very promising work around.  I was unaware of the maven-stage-plugin.  Short of a method to do it with deploy directly this may work.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Jim

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hudson has a feature to deploy all after successful build rather than
module-by-module with native Maven.

Kalle

Posted by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com>.
With the minor caveat that I could never get mvn deploy:deploy to work at all. :)  I had posted the error I was getting several days ago.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

In any event, I like this solution a lot better the more I have used it.  It prevents any and all accidental running of anything.  It does not even make use of my existing pom's (they are not needed).

-Jim

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Stefan,

The problem is that the deploy:deploy will be running in a separate reactor
and will be missing any attached artifacts from the reactor build.

So actually what you propose will completely fail for more than a
non-trivial build

-Stephen

Posted by Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
I still don't think your solution is easier than

 mvn install
 if not errorlevel 1 mvn deploy:deploy

But - everyone has their own solutions ;) Thanks for sharing.

Stefan

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:17:43 -0500
Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Sure no problem.  What I came up with was another set of posts, and was essentially following the advice you gave me a few days ago and some help from Dan Tran.   That is, I use mvn deploy but output to a empty directory, then use a maven plugin to merge that to my primary repository.
>
> Here are some details (note I am using Maven 2.1.0 on Windows machines).  So essentially I build like this:
>
> mvn -DaltDeploymentRepository=repo::default::file://E:\staging-repo deploy
>
> I then use the wagon-maven-plugin to merge this sparse area up to my corporate repository like this:
>
> mvn org.codehaus.mojo:wagon-maven-plugin:1.0-beta-1:merge-maven-repos -Dwagon.source=file://E:\staging-repo -Dwagon.target=file://\\server\share\mavenrepo  -Djava.io.tmpdir=deploytemp
>
> Note that deploytemp is a directory that is created in the local directory.  I can't seem to point it to a C:\temp for some reason, and really don't care.  I just create the directory and use it.  It's empty when it gets done. If you don't create that directory (or forget the java.io.tmpdir), you get a rather cryptic message about volume labels.
>
> I'm able to chain these two commands together after appropriate error checking in my automation server (IBM Rational Build Forge FWIW).
>
> So what I was after originally was a step for me to build, then another step to deploy only that I could use later on after everything was done.  This accomplishes that goal, with a little help from the wagon-maven-plugin, and Dan Tran.
>
> Needless to say this methodology was not documented anywhere that I could find, so I am guessing that not many folks are interested in it.  Frankly without the nudges in the right direction from this list, I would not have been able to figure it out. So thanks to everyone.
>
> -Jim

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stefan Seidel
Software-Entwickler
________________________

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
I don't really see the problem here.
mvn clean install && mvn deploy:deploy

I'm sure there is an equivalent if you're building under Windows.

Stefan

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:37:29 -0500
Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com> wrote:

> I have a whole bunch of components that are mostly interrelated but consumable individually by downstream builds.  If I run deploy it basically starts deploying as it goes, so if a downstream component breaks for some reason then I am left with half of the components updated in the maven repo and half not.  That's not really what we want.
>
> So ideally, we would run a build/test, make sure it all gets through completely, then deploy the resulting artifacts.
>
> -Jim

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stefan Seidel
Software-Entwickler
________________________

Posted by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried your suggestion and got this error:

[INFO] [deploy:deploy]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] The packaging for this project did not assign a file to the build artifact

I guess it's not getting enough data from the rest of the Maven phases as Brian suggests in his other message to get all the data it needs on which files to deploy.

-Jim

I'm not 100% sure I understand, but "mvn deploy:deploy" will do what I think you are describing.

Justin

________________________________

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Jim McCaskey
<ji...@pervasive.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have several components all built from a top level pom.  This
> works great for accelerating users to be able to build a lot of stuff
> quickly but is giving me some fits when trying to deploy.  Up to
>  this point I have been using deploy:deploy-file to get built
> components into our local repository after a full build is
 > successful, but this is labor intensive.

Have you looked at the Promotion Plugin? It looks like it does exactly
what you want.

When you set up a promotion, you can have it triggered manually, or
when a certain set of downstream artifacts get deployed. You can then
have it email you, do tagging, or deploy your artifacts to the Maven
repository.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: How to perform a deploy only

Posted by Francois MAROT <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Pavan,

it's hard to tell exactly but in Eclipse (Eclipse JEE at least) if you
declare a tomcat instance in the "server" window, and import your maven
modules with m2e, you should be able to deploy to Tomcat without problems.
No more needs for command-line clean/install/deploy (as long as your project
does not do very dirty stuffs).
Check the "m2e-wtp" keyword on Google as it's the plugin doing the bridge
between Maven in Eclipse and the server deployment stuffs...