Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/13 01:38:31 UTC

Re: svn commit: r835524 - in /httpd/mod_ftp/trunk: Makefile.apxs configure.apxs

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> trawick@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: trawick
>> Date: Thu Nov 12 20:14:51 2009
>> New Revision: 835524

>> Log:
>> pick up r834900 and r834923 from mod_fcgid
>>
>> Follow up the awk compatibility fix in r834729 by selecting the most
>> suitable awk, following the AC_PROG_AWK order (gawk, mawk, nawk, awk).
>> As with AC_PROG_AWK, AWK=foo overrides.
>>
>> After r834729 a working conf was generated on Solaris when using
>> /usr/bin/awk, but only by some fluke of command-line processing
>> (-v was sort-of ignored; see PR for discussion).  Also, the LoadModule
>> wasn't added in the right spot due to awk engine differences.
>
> Can't we take $AWK given in config_vars.mk/apr_rules.mk instead, using APXS?

As of this commit, yes.
As of the next commit, which works around missing tolower() in nawk on
some levels of Solaris by preferring /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, no.

I don't know levels of Solaris don't have tolower() in nawk.  Perhaps
it isn't a practical concern.

Re: svn commit: r835524 - in /httpd/mod_ftp/trunk: Makefile.apxs configure.apxs

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> On 13.11.2009 01:38, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
>> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>>> Can't we take $AWK given in config_vars.mk/apr_rules.mk instead, using APXS?
>>
>> As of this commit, yes.
>> As of the next commit, which works around missing tolower() in nawk on
>> some levels of Solaris by preferring /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, no.
>>
>> I don't know levels of Solaris don't have tolower() in nawk.  Perhaps
>> it isn't a practical concern.
>
> Solaris 8 with man pages from 1999 has a working nawk tolower(). I tried
> just now.

Solaris 8 is downright futuristic compared with the software levels of
some of the sunfreeware.com users ;)

> Furthermore the page
>
> http://www.shelldorado.com/articles/awkcompat.html
>
> contains nice tables stating that for 2.5 until 8 tolower() works for
> nawk. So I'd say not a practical concern.

way cool; the lack of tolower() in Sun-delivered nawk must have been a
SunOS memory

todos++

Re: svn commit: r835524 - in /httpd/mod_ftp/trunk: Makefile.apxs configure.apxs

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 13.11.2009 01:38, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> trawick@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: trawick
>>> Date: Thu Nov 12 20:14:51 2009
>>> New Revision: 835524

>>> Log:
>>> pick up r834900 and r834923 from mod_fcgid
>>>
>>> Follow up the awk compatibility fix in r834729 by selecting the most
>>> suitable awk, following the AC_PROG_AWK order (gawk, mawk, nawk, awk).
>>> As with AC_PROG_AWK, AWK=foo overrides.
>>>
>>> After r834729 a working conf was generated on Solaris when using
>>> /usr/bin/awk, but only by some fluke of command-line processing
>>> (-v was sort-of ignored; see PR for discussion).  Also, the LoadModule
>>> wasn't added in the right spot due to awk engine differences.
>>
>> Can't we take $AWK given in config_vars.mk/apr_rules.mk instead, using APXS?
>
> As of this commit, yes.
> As of the next commit, which works around missing tolower() in nawk on
> some levels of Solaris by preferring /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, no.
>
> I don't know levels of Solaris don't have tolower() in nawk.  Perhaps
> it isn't a practical concern.

Solaris 8 with man pages from 1999 has a working nawk tolower(). I tried
just now.

Furthermore the page

http://www.shelldorado.com/articles/awkcompat.html

contains nice tables stating that for 2.5 until 8 tolower() works for
nawk. So I'd say not a practical concern.

Regards,

Rainer