Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by llamar burgess <ll...@kraftfeld.org> on 2007/06/28 21:52:46 UTC

howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

lo,

i was friendly advised to compile cocoon-2.2.0-dev (to integrate cocoon
blocks into forrest).
My prob now is that i do not know how to get a working instance of it.

According to http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html#cocoon
forrest 0.8 is now "...using their SVN r351990 on 2005-12-08..." of
cocoon/trunk.

(to be safe) i tried to check out revision 351990 of cocoon/trunk, which
works only for basic components,
but i experienced problems checking out external targets..
("Error URL: 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks' doesn´t
exist")

So i appologise troubling you for some advice, how to get a complete
version of cocoon-2.2.0-dev that
will also get along with forrest 0.8..

thx,
llamar

p.s.: thx david, for sending me here..

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
See:
"notes for last known working Cocoon-2.2-dev with Forrest"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1015

-David

Re: Update: Resolved: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
llamar burgess wrote:
> Lo again,
>
> redoing the complete procedure i noticed, that i must have mixed up some
> revisions..
> it is not necessary to do any changes to jars.xml. sorry about this mistake.
>
> this procedure should be working:
>
> >1. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk in rev 351990
> >
> >2. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks (i used rev
> >351990 - rev. number changed automaticaly)
> >(into folder cocoon/src/blocks)
> >
> >3. checkout
> >http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml
> >in rev 351990
> >(into folder cocoon/src/gump/)
> >
> >4. copy local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties from
> >apache-forrest-0.8/etc/cocoon_upgrade into cocoon/
> >
> >5. build cocoon

Fantastic news. Thanks llamar for following through
with this.

-David

Update: Resolved: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by llamar burgess <ll...@kraftfeld.org>.
Lo again,

redoing the complete procedure i noticed, that i must have mixed up some
revisions..
it is not necessary to do any changes to jars.xml. sorry about this mistake.

this procedure should be working:

> 1. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk in rev 351990
>
> 2. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks (i used rev
> 351990 - rev. number changed automaticaly)
> (into folder cocoon/src/blocks)
>
> 3. checkout
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml
> in rev 351990
> (into folder cocoon/src/gump/)
>
> 4. copy local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties from
> apache-forrest-0.8/etc/cocoon_upgrade into cocoon/
>
> 5. build cocoon

best regards
llamar

Resolved: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by llamar burgess <ll...@kraftfeld.org>.
Lo David,

You were right about the externals. Thanks to your help i was finally
able to build cocoon r351990.

These are the steps that worked for me:

1. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk in rev 351990

2. checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks (i used rev
351990 - rev. number changed automaticaly)
(into folder cocoon/src/blocks)

3. checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml
in rev 351990
(into folder cocoon/src/gump/)

4. insert/add some changes** to cocoon/lib/jars.xml
see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cocoon-cvs/200512.mbox/%3C20051227151121.61398.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

5. copy local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties from
apache-forrest-0.8/etc/cocoon_upgrade into cocoon/

6. build cocoon

I did not test to integrate the outcoming jars with forrest0.8 by now,
but this is not topic of this discussion.

Thanks a million, David! You really helped me out with this.

best regards
llamar

**changes to cocoon/lib/jars.xml

 <file id="mx4j-jmx">
    <title>JMX interfaces</title>
    <description>
      The JMX interfaces from the MX4J project.
    </description>
    <used-by>Core</used-by>
    <lib>core/mx4j-jmx-3.0.1.jar</lib>
    <homepage>http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/</homepage>
  </file>

  <file id="jetty-jmx">
    <title>Jetty JMX</title>
    <description>
      Jetty JMX support for ModelMBeanImpl.
    </description>
    <used-by>Core</used-by>
    <lib>core/jetty-jmx-5.1.8.jar</lib>
    <homepage>http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/</homepage>
   </file>

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
llamar burgess wrote:
> David Crossley schrieb:
> >David Crossley wrote:

> >>Oh drat. At one stage they used "svn externals" for some
> >>blocks to share them with Cocoon 2.1 branch. I wonder if
> >>that is the problem.
> >
> >I have not tried a fresh checkout of that revision
> >and i am not sure that the "externals' is the problem.
> >
> >We need to find all the places in that r351990 that used
> >to use 'svn externals'. Then i gather that we can get the
> >'svn checkout' to ignore the externals
> >http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.externals.html
>
> Yes, that should do it but an issue then is, that i dont know how many
> problems
> are in this revision at all. The checkout quits after the first error.
> But there are
> other problems besides the blocks (the cocoon build script actually
> fails because it cant locate
> the gump descriptor (\src\gump\module.xml).

Because you are ignoring "externals'.

The "externals" refers to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/
and the file is still available at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml

Get it with:
svn co -r 351990 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/cocoon/module.xml

> So i supposed there must be
> other parts missing as well).

Not sure about that. There is another "externals" at
src/documentation/src/forrest-configuration/
but hopefully the "docs" was not required.

> To follow each error that comes up could be a intense task when, on the
> other hand any
> working version of cocoon would do fine for me (as long as it works
> together with forrest) .

As we have said, r351990 is the last known working version.

> That is, why i came up with the question to the list.
> I just hoped there would be a solution as easy as "download and use"  :)
>
> >Perhaps these are blocks that Forrest does not use.
> >Otherwise i wonder if we can get the relevant
> >blocks from the current Cocoon-2.1 branch SVN.

Those might need to be from a version of 2.1 that is
close to r351990.

-David

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by llamar burgess <ll...@kraftfeld.org>.
David Crossley schrieb:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> llamar burgess wrote:
>>
>>> According to http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html#cocoon
>>> forrest is now "...using their SVN r351990 on 2005-12-08..." of
>>> cocoon/trunk.
>>>
>>> So i tried to check out revision 351990 of cocoon/trunk, which works
>>> fine for the basic components,
>>> but as far as i can tell, there??re problems checking out external
>>> targets i.e.
>>> Error URL: 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks' doesn??t exist
>>>
>> Oh drat. At one stage they used "svn externals" for some
>> blocks to share them with Cocoon 2.1 branch. I wonder if
>> that is the problem.
>>

> I have not tried a fresh checkout of that revision
> and i am not sure that the "externals' is the problem.
>
> We need to find all the places in that r351990 that used
> to use 'svn externals'. Then i gather that we can get the
> 'svn checkout' to ignore the externals
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.externals.html

Yes, that should do it but an issue then is, that i dont know how many
problems
are in this revision at all. The checkout quits after the first error.
But there are
other problems besides the blocks (the cocoon build script actually
fails because it cant locate
the gump descriptor (\src\gump\module.xml). So i supposed there must be
other parts missing as well).

To follow each error that comes up could be a intense task when, on the
other hand any
working version of cocoon would do fine for me (as long as it works
together with forrest) .
That is, why i came up with the question to the list.
I just hoped there would be a solution as easy as "download and use"  :)
> Perhaps these are blocks that Forrest does not use.
> Otherwise i wonder if we can get the relevant
> blocks from the current Cocoon-2.1 branch SVN.

That was my thought too. I copied the blocks from a cocoon 2.1.7 dist
version.
But then the gump prob (see above) came up and i could not find out if
it works.
(By now I now tried with a module.xml from cocoon-2.1.7 but the blocks
did not work...)
> The other alternatives are to help us get the
> current Cocoon 2.2 working with current Forrest trunk,

I saw that the first RC for 2.2 is up and read that it will be based on
a spring container.
That sounds pretty cool to me and i look forward to check it out. But
then i do not know too
much about this so i am afraid i would not be a real help to you guys.
> or try to integrate the current Cocoon 2.1 branch,

My purpose is to integrate some stuff into forrest, that i wrote in
Cocoon-2.1.10 which uses the database and
authentication block. I just went for r351990 because i thought it would
be the easiest way.
> or start to work on another proposal to separate from
> Cocoon. There is recent discussion in our dev archives.
> I can provide some tips for searching if you want.

Sure that would be nice - i do not mind to much how it works, as long as
it works :)
> -David

Thank you very much for your help David!
llamar

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: howto get cocoon-2.2.0-dev?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
llamar burgess wrote:
> lo,
>
> i was friendly advised to compile cocoon-2.2.0-dev (to integrate cocoon
> blocks into forrest).
> My prob now is that i do not know how to get a working instance of it.
>
> According to http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html#cocoon
> forrest 0.8 is now "...using their SVN r351990 on 2005-12-08..." of
> cocoon/trunk.
>
> (to be safe) i tried to check out revision 351990 of cocoon/trunk, which
> works only for basic components,
> but i experienced problems checking out external targets..
> ("Error URL: 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks' doesn??t
> exist")
>
> So i appologise troubling you for some advice, how to get a complete
> version of cocoon-2.2.0-dev that
> will also get along with forrest 0.8..
>
> thx,
> llamar
>
> p.s.: thx david, for sending me here..

Hi llamar, thanks for bringing this over from the user list.
Most developers listen there too, so we heard the previous
discussion.

For reference, below is my reply to the user list,
and the rest of the conversation is at
 Re: integrate authentication-fw in forrest 0.8
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/4296/

kraftfeld wrote:
> Lo,
>
> thank you for your answers.
> I hate to bother you with this, but now i??m facing problems to round up
> cocoon-2.2.0-dev :(

Please do follow-up discussion on the Forrest dev mail list.
This will go way beyond simple user issues, so is more
appropriate on the other list.

> According to http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html#cocoon
> forrest is now "...using their SVN r351990 on 2005-12-08..." of
> cocoon/trunk.
>
> So i tried to check out revision 351990 of cocoon/trunk, which works
> fine for the basic components,
> but as far as i can tell, there??re problems checking out external
> targets i.e.
> Error URL: 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks' doesn??t exist

Oh drat. At one stage they used "svn externals" for some
blocks to share them with Cocoon 2.1 branch. I wonder if
that is the problem.

> That said, my new question is how to gather a functional copy of
> cocoon-2.2.0-dev in a revision that also suits forrest.

I don't know the answer to that sorry. Lets talk on the
dev list and see what we can do.

-David