Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu> on 2003/08/26 18:53:31 UTC

Personality in docs (Was: Re: 'Production' build for Cocoon?)

Roger I Martin PhD wrote:

> Right now INSTALL.txt needs some things cut out of it:

[stuff-snipped]

I'd like to point out a few Theses of the Cluetrain which apply here:

14. Corporations do not speak in the same voice as these new networked conversations. To their
intended online audiences, companies sound hollow, flat, literally inhuman.

15. In just a few more years, the current homogenized "voice" of business—the sound of mission
statements and brochures—will seem as contrived and artificial as the language of the 18th century
French court.

16. Already, companies that speak in the language of the pitch, the dog-and-pony show, are no longer
speaking to anyone.

17. Companies that assume online markets are the same markets that used to watch their ads on
television are kidding themselves.

18. Companies that don't realize their markets are now networked person-to-person, getting smarter
as a result and deeply joined in conversation are missing their best opportunity.

19. Companies can now communicate with their markets directly. If they blow it, it could be their
last chance.

20. Companies need to realize their markets are often laughing. At them.

21. Companies need to lighten up and take themselves less seriously. They need to get a sense of humor.

22. Getting a sense of humor does not mean putting some jokes on the corporate web site. Rather, it
requires big values, a little humility, straight talk, and a genuine point of view.

I don't mind making the docs a little more "pofessional sounding" but I'd really, really hate to see
the personality stripped from them as well.  We're all people here, not robots.  I'd rather read
someone's genuine opinion about why Cocoon kicks so much ass instead of reading about the latest
buzzword of the day.

Tony

Re: Personality in docs (Was: Re: 'Production' build for Cocoon?)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
> I don't mind making the docs a little more "pofessional sounding" but
> I'd really, really hate to see  the personality stripped from them as
> well.  We're all people here, not robots.  I'd rather read  someone's
> genuine opinion about why Cocoon kicks so much ass instead of reading
> about the latest  buzzword of the day.

Great one!

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Personality in docs (Was: Re: 'Production' build for Cocoon?)

Posted by Boon Hian Tek <bt...@pdxbtek.dyndns.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> I don't mind making the docs a little more "pofessional sounding" but
> I'd really, really hate to see the personality stripped from them as
> well.  We're all people here, not robots.  I'd rather read someone's
> genuine opinion about why Cocoon kicks so much ass instead of reading
> about the latest buzzword of the day.

+1

Re: Personality in docs (Was: Re: 'Production' build for Cocoon?)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Tony Collen wrote:

> I don't mind making the docs a little more "pofessional sounding" but
> I'd really, really hate to see the personality stripped from them as
> well.  We're all people here, not robots.  I'd rather read someone's
> genuine opinion about why Cocoon kicks so much ass instead of reading
> about the latest buzzword of the day.

I absolutely share your oppinion.

--
Giacomo Pati

Re: Personality in docs (Was: Re: 'Production' build for Cocoon?)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mardi, 26 aoû 2003, à 18:53 Europe/Zurich, Tony Collen a écrit :
> ...I don't mind making the docs a little more "pofessional sounding"
> but I'd really, really hate to see the personality stripped from them
> as well.  We're all people here, not robots.  I'd rather read
> someone's genuine opinion about why Cocoon kicks so much ass instead
> of reading about the latest buzzword of the day....

+1

-Bertrand