Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2001/01/24 19:06:06 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

To complete the task of bringing the development on the jakarta-tomcat
MAIN branch to a release, I offer the Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan.  Though
this version of Tomcat contains no major feature enhancements, it does
contain a sufficient number of improvements and other changes to warrant
being called Tomcat 3.3 to distinguish it from Tomcat 3.2 and its
maintenance releases.

The Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan may be found at:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/RELEASE-PLAN-3.3>

Since I am volunteering to be the Release Manager for this plan, this
document already has my name filled in.  However, my support of this plan
is not contingent on me being the Release Manager.  I am will to support
someone else if they wish to volunteer.

In addition to the release plan, the STATUS.html document has been updated,
and may be found at:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/STATUS.html>

This file documents some of the changes that have been completed and
targeted for the milestone 1 release, but doesn't cover all the changes made
since Tomcat 3.2.  It also includes action items specifically addressing the
task of releasing this version of Tomcat.

Many of the action items left over from the Tomcat 3.2 version of this
document have been moved to the "Ideas For The Future" section at the end.
This is based on the assumption that work for these items wasn't completed.
If I am in error on one of these items, or you know who should be added as
having volunteered on any of them, please let me know.

It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the release,
but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.

Thanks,
Larry Isaacs

__________
Larry Isaacs
Larry.Isaacs@sas.com
SAS Institute Inc.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:49  24/1/01 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 1/24/01 10:06 AM, "Larry Isaacs" <La...@sas.com> wrote:
>
>> It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
>> committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the
release,
>> but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.
>
>I'm not sure that I agree with this. What if I want to state my approval,
>but don't want to help out?

You would "+0" it ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by Dan Milstein <da...@shore.net>.
Larry,

First off:

+0

Actually, I'm planning on contributing bug fixes and documentation in the mod_jk/ajp areas, so I'm sort of a +.5 -- I don't think I can be one of the core Release Team, but I am planning on committing some real time to supporting this version pre- and post-release.  Just so you (or whoever is the RM) knows.

Secondly, some of the wording about release dates confused me:

At the bottom of the Milestone 2 release (which is scheduled for Feb 8th, one week after M1), it says:

"Should that not be the case, this release may be skipped since the beta release is expected a week later."

But the Beta release is March 15th -- 5 weeks later.  Is M2 supposed to March 8th?

-Dan

Larry Isaacs wrote:

> To complete the task of bringing the development on the jakarta-tomcat
> MAIN branch to a release, I offer the Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan.  Though
> this version of Tomcat contains no major feature enhancements, it does
> contain a sufficient number of improvements and other changes to warrant
> being called Tomcat 3.3 to distinguish it from Tomcat 3.2 and its
> maintenance releases.
>
> The Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan may be found at:
>
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/RELEASE-PLAN-3.3>
>
> Since I am volunteering to be the Release Manager for this plan, this
> document already has my name filled in.  However, my support of this plan
> is not contingent on me being the Release Manager.  I am will to support
> someone else if they wish to volunteer.
>
> In addition to the release plan, the STATUS.html document has been updated,
> and may be found at:
>
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/STATUS.html>
>
> This file documents some of the changes that have been completed and
> targeted for the milestone 1 release, but doesn't cover all the changes made
> since Tomcat 3.2.  It also includes action items specifically addressing the
> task of releasing this version of Tomcat.
>
> Many of the action items left over from the Tomcat 3.2 version of this
> document have been moved to the "Ideas For The Future" section at the end.
> This is based on the assumption that work for these items wasn't completed.
> If I am in error on one of these items, or you know who should be added as
> having volunteered on any of them, please let me know.
>
> It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
> committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the release,
> but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry Isaacs

Dan Milstein // danmil@shore.net

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
One additional item to be completed before beta: usability enhancements (
easier configuration, better error messages, more documentation on
module options ). I volunteer for that ( I'll also include few more
pages to the /admin for better monitoring of the running tomcat, etc. )

--
Costin

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 1/24/01 10:06 AM, "Larry Isaacs" <La...@sas.com> wrote:
>
> > It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
> > committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the release,
> > but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.
>
> I'm not sure that I agree with this. What if I want to state my approval,
> but don't want to help out?

By the current understanding of the voting rules, you would say "+0" to mean
this.  If you disagreed, you would vote "-0" (I don't think this is a good idea,
but I'm not going to try to block it) or "-1" (this is a bad idea and should not
be done).

Under appropriate circumstances (valid reasoning/alternative supplied, decision
which requires consensus) a -1 vote is a veto, but release plans don't fall into
that category (they require at least 3 +1s, and more +1s than -1s).

> -jon

Craig

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net> wrote:

> On 1/24/01 10:49 AM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:
>
>> on 1/24/01 10:06 AM, "Larry Isaacs" <La...@sas.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
>>> committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the release,
>>> but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.
>>
>> I'm not sure that I agree with this. What if I want to state my approval,
>> but don't want to help out?
>
> +0 it.

So, I'll +0 it...

    Pier

--
Pier Fumagalli  <http://www.betaversion.org/>  <ma...@betaversion.org>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
On 1/24/01 10:49 AM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 1/24/01 10:06 AM, "Larry Isaacs" <La...@sas.com> wrote:
>
>> It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
>> committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the release,
>> but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.
>
> I'm not sure that I agree with this. What if I want to state my approval,
> but don't want to help out?

+0 it.

                                                                  !try; do()

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> > It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
> > committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the
release,
> > but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.

Is it a request for a vote ?
As I understand it, it's a request for a final review of the plan (is that
right ?).

Remy

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat 3.3 Release Plan

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
> It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1 by a
> committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping with the release,
> but to provide maintenance support beyond the release.

+1

--
Costin