Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/17 12:47:43 UTC

Starting with Cocoon

I am trying to write the simplest application using cocoon. Couldn't
find any tutorial. I would like to know what are the minimum parameters
to go in the web.xml. All I need is a simple Hello World. Here's what I
have so far:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        version="2.4">

<servlet>
    <servlet-name> CocoonServlet </servlet-name>
    <servlet-class> org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet </servlet-class>
    <init-param>
    <param-name>configurations</param-name>
    <param-value>/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf</param-value>
    </init-param>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>CocoonServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

</web-app>

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Are you using Cocoon 2.1.x? Then the best is probably to build Cocoon
> with all blocks deactivated (copy blocks.properties to
> local.blocks.properties and deactivate them there). This way you get a
> rather minimum Cocoon. Writing cocoon.xconf from scratch is probably
> not a good idea.

Why not?

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
warrell harries wrote:
> You can build a deployable war file by building to the target war. I
> believe this is documented but, as with all things open-source, you
> have to be prepared to dig around until you find the way.
I find my way but stuck with an error saying:

  ==================================

  Internal Server Error

Message: null

Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet

Source: Cocoon Servlet

Request URI

documents/index.html

cause

No default type exists for 'pipeline' at file:/opt/tomcat/webapps/mysite/sitemap.xmap:5:17

request-uri

/mysite/documents/index.html

The contents of the sitemap.xmap:
  1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
  2
  3 <map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">
  4         <map:pipelines>
  5                 <map:pipeline>
  6                         <!-- respond to *.html requests with our
docs processed by doc2html.xsl -->
  7                         <map:match pattern="**/*.html">
  8                                 <map:generate src="{1}.xml" />
  9                                 <map:transform
src="stylesheets/doc2html.xsl" />
 10                                 <map:serialize type="html" />
 11                         </map:match>
 12
 13                 </map:pipeline>
 14         </map:pipelines>
 15 </map:sitemap>
 16
 17

> The simplest way to get your head around Cocoon is to use the Jetty
> based distribution until you understand the Cocoon paradigm.
Look, I have built it successfully on linux, and browsed the samples. I
have rebuilt the the minimal Cocoon. All I need was, what is the minimum
jars, config files, directory structure ...etc. required to get Cocoon
running. Every answer I have got was about using it. I was looking to
understand the components needed. I came across this page which was
somewhat helpful http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ConfiguringCocoon

The answers I was given were not related in anyway to my question. We
all learned through building the hello world example, and added
functionality as needed. That's all I wanted.

> BTW, from the tone of your emails it is as if you think that the
> Cocoon community is obliged to guide you every step of the way.
Cocoon community is not obliged to guide me, but I am not expecting
someone form the community to answer me with an answer for a question I
did not ask. I don't want to waste their resources either, but it looked
like the previous posts were trying to give me Cocoon their own way.

> It would be great if there were enough resources to do this but time
> and skills are always in demand and limited supply. I cannot speak for
> the many talented and dedicated people that have built and continue to
> improve this project, however, I rather expect that the concensus of
> their thoughts would be that you should be prepared to put in a little
> more effort yourself before trying to cajole trivial help from the
> community.
I definitely read the manual  and tried to read the site documentation
before posting. On the other hand, what is trivial for you may not look
the same for others.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by warrell harries <wa...@googlemail.com>.
You can build a deployable war file by building to the target war. I believe
this is documented but, as with all things open-source, you have to be
prepared to dig around until you find the way.

The simplest way to get your head around Cocoon is to use the Jetty based
distribution until you understand the Cocoon paradigm.

BTW, from the tone of your emails it is as if you think that the Cocoon
community is obliged to guide you every step of the way. It would be great

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Mansour pisze:
>> I am getting an error:
>>
>> No default type exists for 'pipeline' at
>> file:/opt/tomcat/webapps/mysite/sitemap.xmap:5:17
>>
>> Now, what is this ?? Here's the contents of my sitemap:
>>
>>  1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
>>  2  3 <map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">
>>  4         <map:pipelines>
>>  5                 <map:pipeline>
>
> Have you tried to use:
> <map:pipeline type="noncaching">
>
> or
> <map:pipeline type="caching"> instead?
>
> I believe this will move you forward.

I am getting a different error now.

Message: null

Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet

Source: Cocoon Servlet

Request URI

index.html

cause

Type 'caching' is not defined for 'pipeline' at file:/opt/tomcat/webapps/mysite/sitemap.xmap:5:32

request-uri

/mysite/index.html

=========================

Here's my sitemap:
  3 <map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">
  4         <map:pipelines>
  5                 <map:pipeline type="caching">
  6                         <!-- respond to *.html requests with our
docs processed by doc2html.xsl -->
  7                         <map:match pattern="*.html">
  8                                 <map:generate
src="documents/index.xml" />
  9                                 <map:transform
src="stylesheets/doc2html.xsl" />
 10                                 <map:serialize type="html" />
 11                         </map:match>
 12
 13                 </map:pipeline>
 14         </map:pipelines>
 15 </map:sitemap>

I tried both options you gave me. Here's the directory structure of my
root folder:

[mansour@pluto mysite]$ tree
.
|-- WEB-INF
|   |-- cocoon.xconf
|   |-- lib
|   |   |-- avalon-framework-api-4.3.jar
|   |   |-- avalon-framework-impl-4.3.jar
|   |   |-- avalon-logkit-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- cocoon-2.1.10-deprecated.jar
|   |   |-- cocoon-2.1.10.jar
|   |   |-- cocoon-testcase.jar
|   |   |-- commons-beanutils-core-1.7.0.jar
|   |   |-- commons-cli-1.0.jar
|   |   |-- commons-collections-3.2.jar
|   |   |-- commons-httpclient-2.0.2.jar
|   |   |-- commons-io-1.2.jar
|   |   |-- commons-jexl-1.0.jar
|   |   |-- commons-jxpath-1.2.jar
|   |   |-- commons-lang-2.2.jar
|   |   |-- commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
|   |   |-- concurrent-1.3.4.jar
|   |   |-- ehcache-1.2.2.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-component-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-i18n-1.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-instrument-api-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-instrument-mgr-api-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-instrument-mgr-http-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-instrument-mgr-impl-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-logger-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-naming-1.0.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-pool-api-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-pool-impl-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-pool-instrumented-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-sourceresolve-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-store-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- excalibur-xmlutil-2.1.jar
|   |   |-- jakarta-bcel-20040329.jar
|   |   |-- jakarta-regexp-1.4.jar
|   |   |-- javacApi-0.9.jar
|   |   |-- javacImpl-0.9.jar
|   |   |-- jcs-1.2.5-dev-20050313.jar
|   |   |-- jdtcore-3.0.2.jar
|   |   |-- js-1.6R5.jar
|   |   |-- log4j-1.2.13.jar
|   |   |-- xalan-2.7.0.jar
|   |   |-- xercesImpl-2.9.0.jar
|   |   |-- xml-apis-1.3.04.jar
|   |   `-- xml-commons-resolver-1.1.jar
|   |-- log4j.xml
|   |-- logkit.xconf
|   `-- web.xml
|-- documents
|   `-- index.xml
|-- sitemap.xmap
`-- stylesheets
    `-- doc2html.xsl

4 directories, 50 files

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 18.11.2007 15:05 Uhr, Mansour wrote:

> Now, let's figure out why it was failing. I was following the tutorial
> on http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-html-pdf-publishing.html
> and I obtained the site map contents from their. If the site map was
> missing something, how did you know that this is caused by the contents
> of the cocoon.xconf ??

The cause of problem I can usually get from the error message, that's
probably something you learn with the time.

> This tells me that the sitemap is read before cocoon.xconf, and contents
> of the later has to be initialized by the former ! Am I right ?

It's first the web application with web.xml that get's loaded, then the
CocoonServlet with cocoon.xconf and at the end (per request) the
sitemap.xmap. Why do you think sitemap is read before cocoon.xconf?

Actually both cocoon.xconf and sitemap have their components section
which even became interchangeable in Cocoon 2.1. I think this support
has been dropped or limited in 2.2 as it might be too confusing. And
Cocoon 2.2 has now the blocks which allow local declaration of
components anyway so that this feature in sitemaps is superfluous. Yes,
up to 2.1 cocoon.xconf specifies global components while sitemaps
declare local components. All the stuff in the root sitemap is about
reasonable defaults, you can declare or overwrite them in any sub
sitemap as well.

Joerg

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Mansour pisze:
> After finishing the the tutorial
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1290_1_1.html how can I build the war file
> to view its contents?
>
> Thank you.

See http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1362_1_1.html

Command mvn package jetty:run mentioned in that tutorial produces a WAR
file that is passed to jetty. If you just run mvn package you will get a
WAR file in target directory.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Mansour wrote:
>> It's working NOW. Can not thank you enough for this!
>>
>> Now, let's figure out why it was failing. I was following the
>> tutorial on
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-html-pdf-publishing.html
>> and I obtained the site map contents from their. If the site map was
>> missing something, how did you know that this is caused by the
>> contents of the cocoon.xconf ??
>>
>> This tells me that the sitemap is read before cocoon.xconf, and
>> contents of the later has to be initialized by the former ! Am I right ?
> When you build Cocoon 2.1 by running build.sh using the defaults there
> will be a sitemap.xmap in build/webapp. This sitemap is the root and
> shouldn't be changed much (if you do you should know what you are
> doing) as it contains all kinds of definitions you need. You would
> then put your sitemap in a directory below this similar to the
> sitemap.xmap in the samples directory. Your sitemap inherits the stuff
> in the root sitemap. If I understand what you did correctly, the
> problem was that you replaced the root sitemap with your own which
> didn't contain any of the stuff you needed.
This is a very good piece of info. Now I understand that we have
"Global" sitemap.xconf and "local" one. So this tells me that when I
follow the tutorials and run my Cocoon application, I am basically
running it under the Global config, but overriding them with my own. So
I was not deploying directly to tomcat, but to Cocoon "platform" (and
not framework) which is running in tomcat? cool!

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 18.11.2007 18:53 Uhr, Mansour wrote:
>
>> For now, maven is not the right choice for me. I need to understand
>> every single file before I use it in my projects. If something goes
>> wrong, I want to find out why and immediately. I need to know how I can
>> utilize it in my work.
>
> I don't want to scare you but I wonder if that will be ever possible
> with Maven. To be honest, I have not used Maven often enough to be
> able to criticize it in a qualified way. But that's my impression so far.
>
>> I have been looking into Cocoon 2.2 and I am getting ready to build
>> another HelloWorld from zero using Cocoon 2.2. However, I find very
>> few jars there. Is this again one of maven's trick to make things
>> easier? Does it download a different set of jars that are only for
>> this template?
>
> Yes, that's how Maven works. You only declare dependencies in your POM
> and Maven does the rest for you.
Cool. Now I have a better understanding not for maven build but for what
Cocoon team are trying to do. Basically, you are trying to get the user
to create a "block that uses Cocoon" and deploy it to a Cocoon
deployment. So in other word you are making Cocoon a platform. The block
that I created is not a Cocoon application but an application that runs
under Cocoon's deployment. If this is true, then how can I create from
scratch a stand alone Cocoon application ? As I said, I need to drop the
war in tomcat/webapp and DONE.

I understand the  role of a root sitemap and subsite. But I need my
subsite to run as a site. I figured this out with Cocoon 2.1 but the
maven thing in C2.2 is not allowing me to see what is going on. I think
I  will continue digging in sometime today.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you Grzegorz for this email. I think there's some points you are
missing. You misunderstand my understanding of maven. I am not against
using it at all. In fact, I believe it's a great way to tell Ruby
developers that java can easily be adopted for rapid development. It's a
great way to get a newbie started building the site he/she needs for a
blog/portal/photos. I can not use maven at this point. Not that I am
against it. I know in the future I will, and it will help me a lot when
I need to create a block and add it to my collection. For now, maven is
not the right choice for me. I need to understand every single file
before I use it in my projects. If something goes wrong, I want to find
out why and immediately. I need to know how I can utilize it in my work.
How does it contribute to lowering the risk in my projects. Think about
it this way, if you go to a restaurant and you are on a diet, won't you
ask about every single ingredient in the meal you are going to order ?
Same thing when you are engaged in a professional work and you have dead
line and risk to manage. You need to know about every single file, and
evaluate and think about how you are going to need this file.

I have worked with Struts2 and with .NET products. One big difference I
noticed between these two technologies. Stop reading my email, think
about the difference and come back.
=====================
BREAK.
=====================

DONE? ok, The BIG DIFFERENCE IS: .Net makes the starting point very easy
while Java not. Visual Studio hides all the details about the components
involved in a project and give you the easy things. You can develop and
make progress with it but at some point you will loss control about what
you have there and you will start wondering where all these files came
from. When something goes wrong, you will be stressed like anything. Not
to mention the slow learning process that .NET develop for you. On the
other hand Java makes harder to start but once you start, you don't
stop! You keep progressing and learning new things every day. I can see
that SUN relies more on the academic institute to market their technology.

By the way, when I started learning Struts2, you know what I used? Don't
laugh! I went back to vi for quick edits, and emacs for regular
development :)

Anyway, this is not a comparison between Java and .Net. I just wanted to
give you (and everyone else wondering why I need this) an idea about the
downside of automating the learning process. It's helping many newbies
to get started, but advanced users need a solid ground before moving
ahead. Another good example is one of my previous responses on this
thread. I deleted the whole section for the component and could not
figure out why things are not working. If there was a step by step
tutorial, I would have fixed the  problem by myself.

It's great that you are considering the newbies but what about bigger
projects? Definitely you can not document every single way Cocoon can be
used in there projects, but you can give the basics, and let the
programmers decide and find ways to use Cocoon in their development.

I hope my point is clear about "tutorials using Maven".
I used the word "you" many times, and I did not mean "you", but
"Cocoon's Community".

I have been looking into Cocoon 2.2 and I am getting ready to build
another HelloWorld from zero using Cocoon 2.2. However, I find very few
jars there. Is this again one of maven's trick to make things easier?
Does it download a different set of jars that are only for this
template? Can I use these jars in another way, like importing them
directly into my app? Does this 716K set of jars "REALLY" replace the
~30 MB ones (in Cocoon 2.1)?

As soon as I finish this, I will try to write a tutorial.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 18.11.2007 11:35 Uhr, Mansour wrote:

> I really need to understand how it works, what servlet starts when the
> request is received, and yes the minimum configuration.

> All I need is to understand the minimum requirements. I think I know
> what I need better than anyone else!

Nobody questions that you understand your requirements the best. I also
see where you are coming from with setting up a minimal Cocoon. But
there was a reason why I suggested you to not start from scratch but
with a minimal build that our build system provides. And there are
reasons why people think Cocoon has a very steep learning curve. Cocoon
uses a lot of technologies which you probably don't want to know all
beforehand.

> However, I did a minimal built and tried to write a small program, but
> was not able to get it to work. I think now my problem is in the sitemap
> "the thing that everybody wants me to worry about".

The main configuration files cocoon.xconf and the root sitemap should
also be quite well-documented with all their component setups. You now
seem to use the provided cocoon.xconf but wiped out the root sitemap
which has all the components for the sitemaps in it like pipelines,
generators, transformer, serializers, etc. Readd the map:components

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Jason, thank you for this response. It was really helpful. However, I
know in the future I will not have to worry about web.xml and I promise
you I will be using maven. The point that no one seems to be paying
attention for, is that I do not want "ONLY" to use Cocoon. I really need
to understand how it works, what servlet starts when the request is
received, and yes the minimum configuration. The reason is, I need to
integrate cocoon and not to build a site with it. I have some
requirements to meet, and the end product that I am planing to use
Cocoon for will not be only through the web.

Basically I have to sync 2...n data bases through web services and for
each system, there's different DB schema and different DBMS.
The records may come from different  sources (files,  sockets, JMS...etc)

Well, all the answers I have got so far is about how easy it's to use
Cocoon and that I don't have to worry about anything. This is not the
way to go. I am not trying to impress my friends by how easy it's to
build a photo album or how nice my website looks. And I know Cocoon is
powerful. How am I gonna use it, and what do I need to worry about "is
my job".

All I need is to understand the minimum requirements. I think I know
what I need better than anyone else!

Your response was great, and I should have though about this from the
begging. I thought I can find a step by step tutorial some where.
[...]

If you need any other info, let me know.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Jason Johnston <jj...@apache.org>.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by warrell harries <wa...@googlemail.com>.
Forgive me, I'm assuming you have read the INSTALL.TXT in the
2.1.10distrubition. For convenience I enclose it here

                      +-----------------------------+
                      |     I  N  S  T  A  L  L     |
                      +-----------------------------+

  Let me guess: you don't like to read verbose docs, right?

  Great, this file is for you.

 1) Unpack the distribution

  Obviously you've done this already, but if you got errors when unpacking
  the archive with tar, you might need to use gnutar instead. Our archives
  contain long paths and filenames which cause problems with some versions
  of the tar command.

 2) Set your JAVA_HOME environment

  You have to set your JAVA_HOME environment to point to the root directory
of
  the Java Virtual Machine (JDK 1.3.x or later) installed on your machine.

  To do this simply type:

    [unix] JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java/
    [win32] SET JAVA_HOME=c:\path\to\java

  your mileage may vary depending on your shell, but you know how to setup
  environments, right?

  If you're using JDK 1.3.x, you have to exclude the JCR block before
building
  Cocoon. Have a look at the "Choosing the blocks" section below on how to
  exculude a block. Please note that some samples require JDK 1.4 or above.

 3) Build Cocoon by typing "build" or "./build.sh"

 4) Run Cocoon by typing "cocoon" or "./cocoon.sh"

 5) Open http://localhost:8888/ with your browser

That's it!

Now, you have two choices:

  a) close this file and try to hack something out by yourself

  b) keep reading

Go ahead and choose option a), but don't complain if you can't figure out
how
to use the cocoon build system for your needs.

Still here? good. You won't regret it.

Updating
--------

If you are updating from a previous release of Cocoon, make sure
that you read the installation instructions on updating first.

Choosing the blocks
-------------------

Cocoon is composed by its 'core' and several 'blocks'.

The core (a.k.a. naked cocoon') contains the system with services that
are needed to all cocoon users. Blocks provide services that you might not
need,
therefore the build system allows you to remove them from the build.

Now, do the following steps to configure the blocks you want in your cocoon:

 1) cp blocks.properties local.blocks.properties
 2) edit local.blocks.properties
 3) rebuild (do a "build clean" first if you deactivated some blocks)

do not modify blocks.properties directly!

Tuning the build
----------------

Ok, now that you told the build system what services you want assembled
into your distribution, you can tune the build for your personal needs:

 1) cp build.properties local.build.properties
 2) edit local.build.properties

do not modify build.properties directly!

An example of a local.build.properties is the following:

  compiler=jikes
  compiler.debug=off
  build.webapp=/path/to/where/to/build/the/webapp

where you override default compilation parameters and tell the build system
where to place the generated cocoon webapp. Look into build.properties to
find
out what you might want to modify for your own personal needs.

Running Cocoon as a servlet
---------------------------

When you do 'cocoon servlet', the servlet container (jetty) is started and
Cocoon
loaded into it. By default, this is attached to port 8888, but you can
change
this by setting the "JETTY_PORT" environment property before launching
cocoon.

Other properties that you can change are:

 JETTY_ADMIN_PORT (defaults to 8889): is the port where the jetty web
     administration is connected to. This is available when you launch
     "cocoon servlet-admin", otherwise its disabled.

 JETTY_WEBAPP (defaults to build/webapp): is the location of the webapp
     that jetty has to execute. modify this to match your
local.build.properties
     if you modified where the build system creates your webapp

 JAVA_DEBUG_PORT (defaults to 8000): is the port where the JVM over-the-wire
     debug interface connects to. This is available only if you launch
     "cocoon servlet-debug", otherwise is disabled. This is used by remote
     debuggers (for example, Eclipse's).

Note that the "standalone-demo" build target prepares a directory that you
can
move elsewhere to run "cocoon servlet" outside of the build tree.

All right, that's it for now.

Happy hacking with Cocoon.

Re: Starting with Cocoon

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.