Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Kevin C Miller <ke...@andrew.cmu.edu> on 2003/09/02 22:09:53 UTC

chdir / startup issues

Hello,

I'm looking for some insight as to why Embperl::Mail (using 2.0b9) might be
trying to stat its way to the filesystem root when it starts up. This is
causing me some problems with networked filesystems, as it stats all the
directories on the way.

Thoughts?

-Kevin

Re: chdir / startup issues

Posted by Ed Grimm <ed...@dsblade00.wat.us.ray.com>.
Normally, this behavior is an attempt to find out its working
directory's full path.  It's also normal to be able to tell it that
information via some other means.

As far as I can tell, Embperl::Mail is not doing this.  I seem to recall
that something that Net::SMTP requires does, and I believe that's what
Embperl::MAIL uses to send mail.  If it isn't, MAIL::Sendmail definitely
requires something which has this behavior.

My memory is a bit vague on this, because I only encountered it due to
trying to track back another bit of code I was having difficulty with.

Sorry to not have a complete answer, and to take so long to do it; I
really thought someone else on the group would've known the full details
off-hand.

Ed

Re: chdir / startup issues

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Kevin C Miller wrote:

> I'm looking for some insight as to why Embperl::Mail (using 2.0b9)
> might be trying to stat its way to the filesystem root when it starts
> up. This is causing me some problems with networked filesystems, as
> it stats all the directories on the way.
>
> Thoughts?

Embperl.pm does a Cwd::fastcwd() on startup, you might replace this with
Cwd::cwd() or Cwd::getcwd(), which might avoid to stat paraent directories

Gerald