Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ashok <hd...@y.net.ye> on 2002/07/14 17:44:54 UTC

hello sir

Dear Sir,

     i have installed apache tomacat 4.0. i was going through the documentation and i find some of the terminologies difficult to understand. so it would be helpfull if u can answer  my doubts. to begin with i havent understood the purpose of build .xml file. if i develop a web application is it necessary for me to modify the existing file or create a new one. what is "ant"?
regs
ashok

Re: hello sir

Posted by "Nikolas A. Rathert" <ni...@igd.fhg.de>.
Ant is a build tool used for compiling.

Nick

--
Nikolas A. Rathert
Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics

Fraunhoferstrasse 5
D-64283 Darmstadt
Germany
Fon +49 6151 155 552
Fax +49 6151 155 569
email: nikolas.rathert@igd.fhg.de
www: http://www.igd.fhg.de

RE: hello sir

Posted by Jim Urban <ju...@parkcitysolutions.com>.
The build.xml file that comes with Tomcat is for building Tomcat.  Unless
you plan to enhance or modify Tomcat there is no need for you to touch this
file.

I do suggest you look into using Ant to build your web application.  Ant is
another open source project from the great people at the Apache Software
Foundation.  For additional information on Ant see
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html.

Jim Urban - jurban@parkcitysolutions.com
Park City Solutions Inc.
Clinical Connectivity Suite Product Manager
Suite 295
500 Park Blvd.
Itasca, IL  60143
Voice:  (630) 250-3045 x106
Fax:  (630) 250-3046

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any included attachments are from Park City Solutions Inc.
and are intended only for the entity to which it is addressed. The contained
information is confidential and privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you have received this communication in error please notify the sender of
the delivery error by e-mail or call Park City Solutions Inc. corporate
offices at (435) 654-0621