Posted to commits@harmony.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/09/11 12:03:02 UTC

[Harmony Wiki] Update of "Board200809" by TimEllison

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Harmony Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by TimEllison:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Board200809

New page:
= Board report June - September 2008 =

{{{

Summary
=======
TBD

Development & Releases
======================
Development continues to be focused primarily on the Java 5 SE code stream and associated development tooling, with work on the Java 6 SE stream being limited to core areas of the class library.

Milestone build 5.0M7 was declared on August 21, 2008.  This milestone includes a number of fixes and enhancements, as evidenced by over 125 JIRA issues resolved and over 600 commits since our last milestone published at the start of May.

Noteworthy enhancements include:
  * improved performance, especially in object serialization and pack200 decoding.
  * a new 'javap' tool for class file disassembly, and good progress on 'policytool' the security policy management tool.
  * lots of fixes in the Swing widget toolkit.

Six Google Summer of Code projects were assigned for mentoring by members of the Harmony community, but only two of those completed.  We would particularly like to thank AndrĂ¡s Belicza (policytool) and Tharindu Mathew (Swing enhancements)for their contributions to the project!

Security
========
In July, the ASF security group advised the PMC of a vulnerability in Harmony code.  The issue is fixed in our milestone 7 release.  The details of the vulnerability have not been publicly discussed yet.

Community
=========
The community continues to operate in a healthy manner, with a noticeable quiet period over summer.

We are pleased to see some Harmony code is being used in Sun's performance release of Java SE 6 (an improved TreeMap), and work done in the JikesRVM project that enables the VM to run Harmony class library code.

There were no changes to committers or PMC membership during this period.  There are currently 38 committers, ~18 of whom were active this period.

}}}