Posted to user@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> on 2010/09/17 13:06:06 UTC

JDK Version Migration

Dear All,

There is talk on the River developer list regarding which JDK version River
is currently compiled and distributed under.

Current it's released under JDK 1.4, however issues around moving toward JDK
5 or 6 are underway.  Obviously such a move would have consequences in many
different environments, particularly when moving from one version of the
River to the next.

Do any of the users subscribed to this list have any views on the upgrade
path and how far along that path (in terms of Java version and target dates)
River should go?

Many thanks for your time,

Tom

Re: JDK Version Migration

Posted by Zsolt Kúti <la...@gmail.com>.
On 9/17/10, Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> There is talk on the River developer list regarding which JDK version River
> is currently compiled and distributed under.
> Do any of the users subscribed to this list have any views on the upgrade
> path and how far along that path (in terms of Java version and target dates)
> River should go?
Hello,

I would vote for pushing that upgrade path as far as possible.

One weak voice from the "crowd".

Thanks!

Zsolt

Re: JDK Version Migration

Posted by Sink Sink <si...@rayamos.com>.
I use Java 6 in my company, probably too progressive for must big companies
with legacy code base. But it is definitely time to move on (not just in the
JDK supported).

Alfredo Ramos

Re: JDK Version Migration

Posted by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com>.
Java 6 EOL is already on the horizon, and Java 5 and 1.4 are already
EOL'd; that's one reason to move. Another is that the libraries in the
JDK, especially regarding concurrency, are many times better in Java 6
than in Java 1.4.

I suggest moving to 6; Jini 2.1 is very stable and production ready
for those companies that wish to remain on 1.4.

Patrick