Posted to users@maven.apache.org by stug23 <pa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/04 16:30:30 UTC

jmockit in Maven Central

I spotted this post over in the jmockit issues page:

http://code.google.com/p/jmockit/issues/detail?id=172

They seem to feel it's too hard to get artifacts into Maven Central.

Can anyone here comment on this?

Thanks

Re: jmockit in Maven Central

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
There is a well documented 10-step process that 2000 other projects have been able to follow. The process[1] could probably be improved further, possibly some IDE integration or a small webapp to help, but I don't think you can categorize the current process as complicated. The process takes 30 minutes to setup and test and after that it's a matter of staging and promoting the artifacts.

There are also no comments in the issue[2] that elaborate on what might be too complicated, so we can't even use it as an opportunity to improve the process. It appears to me this guy just didn't even attempt to try, and that's his prerogative. If you read the process and it's complicated Juven is receptive to making improvements in documentation and tooling. If you think it's not complicated then you can lend the JMockit developer a hand. It appeared from the issue[2] that  he is happy for someone else to do the requisite work. So if you want the library in central then as a user with a vested interest you can make that happen.

[1]: https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Sonatype+OSS+Maven+Repository+Usage+Guide
[2]: http://code.google.com/p/jmockit/issues/detail?id=172

On Jul 4, 2011, at 7:30 AM, stug23 wrote:

> I spotted this post over in the jmockit issues page:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/jmockit/issues/detail?id=172
>
> They seem to feel it's too hard to get artifacts into Maven Central.
>
> Can anyone here comment on this?
>
> Thanks

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)