Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Acevedo <ve...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/09 04:52:38 UTC

[PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...

Hi,

I have decided to move forward and give you an early preview of how I think
we should move for the logo of Apache OpenOffice 4 which I think is the
general consensus of the next major release of our project pending Apache
approval. The logos I am proposing are basically the same but there are a
few modifications to the current logo. Below is a description:

AOO Next Logo Changes:

   - The AOO Next logo has a smaller spacing between the letters and
   changes the word "Apache" to "APACHE" in caps (idea taken from Kevin
   Gringon's proposal in the Wiki).
   - The color of the "APACHE" word is now gray (idea taken from Kevin
   Gringon's Proposal in the Wiki).
   - Integration of the "AOO" initials (for one of the logo proposals).
   - Retirement of the Orb logo and substituting it with a refined concept
   of the previous OOo logo prior verson 3.2.1. I did this new icon in a
   conservative manner and I think it will fit best the next release of AOO as
   it will match with the post AOO 3.4 Application (Writer, Impress, Calc,
   etc.) icons. The new logo makes a nod to the post-PC era when it comes to
   how an application icon now looks in our devices.
   - Keep some commonality with the current Orb Centric logo by keeping the
   name of the suite with the current font that is being used for our site's
   logo.

Without further waiting, I present to you my logo proposal for AOO 4.
Please follow this link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=69f0fbe8e03b2c13&resid=69F0FBE8E03B2C13!1631&parid=root

Hope you like it and suggestions are welcomed. I would like to credit Kevin
Gringon for the changes in terms of font spacing in the word "OpenOffice"
and the "APACHE" word capitalization suggestions.

--
Best,
Michael

Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 9, 2012, at 12:51 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:

> On 09.05.2012 09:29, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Hi *,

>>> Maybe we can do a logo contest similar to the one Apache Flex did?
>>>
>>>     http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html
>>

>> IMHO it is better to have some profession designer volunteering,
>> I recall the ugly OOo 3 splash screen
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Gallery/OOo3_Splash_Screen
>
> I see what you mean.  Although some of them are actually quite good.
> And flex does probably have a more design oriented user base.

Yes, that is true. The first round voting was carried out in such a way that the 50 were reduced to just a few. In the first round each ballot had 5 votes to distribute to one to five designs. A second round was called and the vote between the top two was close. The PPMC made the final choice. The selected design was from a professional shop. They recently helped with round buttons for the Flex 360 conference.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 9, 2012, at 2:55 AM, Kevin Grignon wrote:

> Helen,
>
> Exactly the attributes that we need to capture on a AOO 4.0 logo wiki page to drive informed design decisions moving forward.
>
> I will harvest your thoughts and post to the wiki.
>
> I will share the page location and invite others to contribute.

Exactly the specs to have in place if a design contest occurs.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

I'm not designer, but is good idea to change logo of AOO.

Put the suggestions and design here[0] or wiki.

0 - http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html

News roads. :)

Best,
Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Helen,

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
All good thoughts.

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Le 9 mai 12 à 09:29, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

> Hi *,

Hi,

> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 09:24:40AM +0200, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> On 09.05.2012 08:33, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing the logo mockups. Also, I appreciate you
>>> acknowledging
>>> my earlier contributions - most gracious.
>>>
>>> With AOO 3.4 just hitting the streets, now is the time to think
>>> about
>>> performing some design research and explorations in support of
>>> branding for
>>> AOO 4.0.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could create an AOO 4.0 logo concepts page on the
>>> wiki to
>>> capture these great ideas. I also have a number of concepts that
>>> I would
>>> like to share with you and others for input.
>>
>> Maybe we can do a logo contest similar to the one Apache Flex did?
>>
>>     http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html
>

> IMHO it is better to have some profession designer volunteering,

Both are equal to my eyes : the door is open, and beginners are
welcome too : creativity and being employed by a company are
orthogonal ...

> I recall the ugly OOo 3 splash screen

Me too.

> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Gallery/
> OOo3_Splash_Screen
> Stella's was far better that the one that got selected.

Stella did a great work, and not only in this case. Maybe she's
reading the thread, and could give us some advices ? (just in
case  :-)  )

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi *,

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 09:24:40AM +0200, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 09.05.2012 08:33, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> >Michael,
> >
> >Thanks for sharing the logo mockups. Also, I appreciate you acknowledging
> >my earlier contributions - most gracious.
> >
> >With AOO 3.4 just hitting the streets, now is the time to think about
> >performing some design research and explorations in support of branding for
> >AOO 4.0.
> >
> >Perhaps you could create an AOO 4.0 logo concepts page on the wiki to
> >capture these great ideas. I also have a number of concepts that I would
> >like to share with you and others for input.
>
> Maybe we can do a logo contest similar to the one Apache Flex did?
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html

IMHO it is better to have some profession designer volunteering,
I recall the ugly OOo 3 splash screen
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Gallery/OOo3_Splash_Screen
Stella's was far better that the one that got selected.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 09.05.2012 23:37, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On May 9, 2012, at 12:24 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>
>> On 09.05.2012 08:33, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing the logo mockups. Also, I appreciate you acknowledging
>>> my earlier contributions - most gracious.
>>>
>>> With AOO 3.4 just hitting the streets, now is the time to think about
>>> performing some design research and explorations in support of branding for
>>> AOO 4.0.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could create an AOO 4.0 logo concepts page on the wiki to
>>> capture these great ideas. I also have a number of concepts that I would
>>> like to share with you and others for input.
>>
>> Maybe we can do a logo contest similar to the one Apache Flex did?
>>
>>     http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html
>
> I'm a mentor on Apache Flex. That contest was very fun, generated more email on flex-dev than you would believe. There were over 50 different logo submissions submitted from everyone including professional design firms and hobbyists. I am very impressed with the design talent in the Flex community.
>
> If we would like to do this then I would gladly go to the flex lists with the contest form. If we do such a contest then we should ask for at least these designs.

That sounds like a great idea.  I looked a while ago through most of the
contest entries and was impressed by a lot of them.  But then again, I
am not a lawyer^H^H^H^H^H^H designer.

-Andre

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 依瑪貓 <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
As for the new logo, I would suggest to use a font that is distributed
on our logo page, just like the Liberation font OOo used before.  Having
the Windows/Mac user to find and download the font is not a good thing.

依瑪貓 imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
旅舍依瑪 http://www.imacat.idv.tw/ 《女聲》電子報 http://www.wov.idv.tw/
台灣女子自由軟體工作小組 http://wofoss.blogspot.com/
EducOO/OOo4Kids台灣 http://www.educoo.tw/

Re: [OT] Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 09.05.2012 08:46, eric b wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like the work you did. Currently, the idea of "square" logo is
> extremely interesting.

I like it also.  To me it looks more modern than the current round logo.

-Andre

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 8, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:

> On Wednesday, 9. May 2012 at 04:52, Michael Acevedo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have decided to move forward and give you an early preview of how I think
>> we should move for the logo of Apache OpenOffice 4 which I think is the
>> general consensus of the next major release of our project pending Apache
>> approval. The logos I am proposing are basically the same but there are a
>> few modifications to the current logo. Below is a description:
>>
>> AOO Next Logo Changes:
>>
>> - The AOO Next logo has a smaller spacing between the letters and
>> changes the word "Apache" to "APACHE" in caps (idea taken from Kevin
>> Gringon's proposal in the Wiki).
>> - The color of the "APACHE" word is now gray (idea taken from Kevin
>> Gringon's Proposal in the Wiki).
>> - Integration of the "AOO" initials (for one of the logo proposals).
>> - Retirement of the Orb logo and substituting it with a refined concept
>> of the previous OOo logo prior verson 3.2.1. I did this new icon in a
>> conservative manner and I think it will fit best the next release of AOO as
>> it will match with the post AOO 3.4 Application (Writer, Impress, Calc,
>> etc.) icons. The new logo makes a nod to the post-PC era when it comes to
>> how an application icon now looks in our devices.
>> - Keep some commonality with the current Orb Centric logo by keeping the
>> name of the suite with the current font that is being used for our site's
>> logo.
>>
>> Without further waiting, I present to you my logo proposal for AOO 4.
>> Please follow this link:
>> https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=69f0fbe8e03b2c13&resid=69F0FBE8E03B2C13!1631&parid=root
>>
>> Hope you like it and suggestions are welcomed. I would like to credit Kevin
>> Gringon for the changes in terms of font spacing in the word "OpenOffice"
>> and the "APACHE" word capitalization suggestions.
>>

> You asked if we like it, I don't like it. It looks old fashioned to me and both elements don't fit together. But I am no designer.
> We should really search for something new and fresh if we want to change it.
> A d that is from my pov not the old s-curve logo.

It is like the different document icons and therefore not forward looking.

It is good to have alternatives offered.

Graphic design is a difficult process. Some type of marketing / what it is it all about process would help inform the design.

One such direction is to have a fresh, new vision.

For 3.4 we did bring back these old icons. People do like the aesthetic, but then others don't.

If continuity with the old logos is desried then these are good alternatives. If not then something different would be better.

Sorry for the mixed thoughts, but that's what is really happening. There are some decisions to make that may not be lazy.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Thanks for opening the discussion about that Michael.

But I don't like the proposal neither.
The square shape is old fashioned IMHO. The S curve "cuts" the icon and it reduces its visibility.
The orb with a more light blue brought a fresh look when it appeared with 3.2.1.
There was a clear problem with the file icons, I agree but they introduced a kind of visual homogeneity for the whole suite identification.
The main problem was the lack of color to identify the application involved but it may be rather easily improved.

LibO did a rather good job IMHO. Since their icons are with a triangle in the corner, why not keep the orb to make it the distinguishing item?

Anyway, a wiki page for a contest is the best way.

Hagar

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.