Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Milamber <mi...@apache.org> on 2012/05/13 22:25:58 UTC

HttpCore 4.2: waiting release after 2.7 (and Commons IO 2.3)

Hello,

I thinks that is better to wait the release after JMeter 2.7 to upgrade
HttpComponents HttpCore to 4.2 (currently 4.1.4).
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201205.mbox/%3C1336239139.2137.34.camel%40ubuntu%3E

On http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
"new asynchronous client and server side protocol handlers", seems
important for the Parallel Controller discussion.

With Commons IO 2.3, Java 1.6 is needed.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201204.mbox/%3CCACZkXPznzeiMdT%3DU%3DcLR16G2CKJJUiGzrt501rBREk3aZYxq6A%40mail.gmail.com%3E

After JMeter 2.7 release, I will start the Java 1.6 conversion
(@override tags, System Tray Icon, etc.)

Any comments are welcome.

Milamber

Re: HttpCore 4.2: waiting release after 2.7 (and Commons IO 2.3)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15 May 2012 19:50, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 15/05/2012 16:07, sebb a ecrit :

>>> Because, perhaps, a httpcore 4.2 update may introduce some hidden bug
>>> just before the release. But you are right, the update can be made
>>> before release with some checks. I can do this if your are ok.

>>> Basic async request is used in HTTPSamplerBase for parallel download of
>>> embedded resources.
>>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> AFAICT, we use the standard HTTPSampler sample() method in a separate thread.
>>
>> We don't use Asynch I/O.
>>

> Perhaps, I'm confused in my mind.
> When I've developed the parallel download of embedded resources, I have
> used java.util.concurrent.Future object, and the javadoc says "A Future
> represents the result of an asynchronous computation".
> I believes that the result it's a Async HTTPSampler in HTTPSamplerBase,
> and a I/O (input/ouput) in my mind may be a network I/O.

Yes, the I/O can be network I/O, but it is still synchronous; it uses
just the same code as in the main HTTP samplers.

The Asynch I/O provided by HttpCore is completely different; it uses NIO.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Le 13/05/2012 23:10, sebb a ecrit :
> On 13 May 2012 21:25, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I thinks that is better to wait the release after JMeter 2.7 to upgrade
>> HttpComponents HttpCore to 4.2 (currently 4.1.4).
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201205.mbox/%3C1336239139.2137.34.camel%40ubuntu%3E
>>
> Not sure why you suggest waiting.
> Though of course we need to check that it is suitable for use with the
> current HttpClient release.

Because, perhaps, a httpcore 4.2 update may introduce some hidden bug
just before the release. But you are right, the update can be made
before release with some checks. I can do this if your are ok.

>> On http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
>> "new asynchronous client and server side protocol handlers", seems
>> important for the Parallel Controller discussion.
>>
> I doubt we need to move to aynch. IO for that.
> After all, we already support parallel requests in different threads.

Basic async request is used in HTTPSamplerBase for parallel download of
embedded resources. Perhaps that is a opportunity to study the async

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.