Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by David payam <ot...@yahoo.ca> on 2003/01/29 22:31:05 UTC

Axis + JAXB is a good solution for complex data mapping?

Hi:

JAXB + DTD is very good for Java and XML mapping. So anybody use JAXB with

Axis ? any example for it?

Thanks

---------------------------------

Re: Axis + JAXB is a good solution for complex data mapping?

Posted by David payam <ot...@yahoo.ca>.
hi Dennis :
Thanks for your quick reply!
I will check the Castor handling in AXIS, and I will let you know
if I can find something useful!

bye

David

 Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:Hi David,

It sounds like you're talking about the original JAXB EA - that's the
one that used DTDs. That code's been dropped and replaced with a new API
designed for Schema support. You can see the JAXB home page for details:
http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxb/index.html I've also got a pair of articles
online at IBM developerWorks that cover JAXB and open source
alternatives for data binding. The first one
(http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-databdopt/index.html)
covers JAXB's history and the features of all the alternatives, the
second (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-databdopt2/)
covers performance.

The good news is that JAXB (the new one) is intended to be integrated
into JAX-RPC in the future, and when it is it should offer a very nice
approach for handling document literal SOAP. Its performance is also
fairly good. The bad news is that until there's a final release it's not
usable for anything other than evaluation purposes. I'm hoping that the
final release version of the reference implementation (expected by the
end of this quarter) will be usable in application code, but have not
seen any committment on this from Sun.

In the meantime Castor is probably your best alternative if you want to
work with data binding inside Axis (aside from the built-in RPC-encoding
support). There've been a number of posts in the past from people
working with Castor - you can check the archives on this. It looks like
there's now also a built-in encoder for Castor handling in the latest
1.1 code: org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.castor. I haven't tried this out
yet, so can't give you any feedback on how it works.

- Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services Support
http://www.sosnoski.com
Redmond, WA 425.885.7197

Re: Axis + JAXB is a good solution for complex data mapping?

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi David,