Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by johnrock <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2009/05/18 22:17:52 UTC

Tomcat better on single or multi core?

I will be deploying a spring/hibernate web app using Tomcat 6, dbcp and
MySql5.1.  I must decide on my initial tomcat dedicated deployment server
configuration and am looking for some advice:

(I am starting with one dedicated Tomcat server..will scale in time)

Based on budget, the affordable options I have to choose from appear to be:
1 single core @3Ghz
or
1 dual core  @~2.1Ghz
or
1 Quad core @~2.1Ghz

My question is: Which processor configuration do you think would benefit
tomcat more? Given the limited/basic options I have,would tomcat benefit
more from 2 or more cores or is speed more important?

RE: Tomcat better on single or multi core?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: johnrock [mailto:johnpiser@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Tomcat better on single or multi core?
>
> Which processor configuration do you think would
> benefit tomcat more?

It's not Tomcat you have to think about - it's your webapp, and the expected usage thereof.  If the webapp is CPU bound but will be run with limited concurrency, the faster single core *may* be better.  If you expect lots of concurrency but still with significant CPU usage, then more cores will help.  If you're I/O bound (including DB access), then it's unlikely the CPU configuration will matter much.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat better on single or multi core?

Posted by George Sexton <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.
You haven't given any pricing information. I guess if it were me and the
prices were all equal, I would go for the Quad-Core. If prices were not
equal, I would go for the dual core.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.

Re: Tomcat better on single or multi core?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.