Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/05/02 20:35:51 UTC

Release Notes: missing screenshots

Paolo is now coordinating volunteers that are translating the Release
Notes into Italian, and while quickly reviewing the original document
https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-34-incubating-release-candidate.html
I have the impression that some paragraphs would be much clearer with a
screenshot or a sample document. For example, does anyone have more
information on the following items?

- Further development/bug fixes for DOCX import filter
(a sample DOCX to test, or a screenshot showing the progress in import
would be very useful)

- Enhanced chart visualization
(is this backend only or user-visible? if it's the latter, is there an
ODF available to test?)

- Formula: Automatic baseline for Math objects
(while it is well explained, again having a sample ODF file or
screenshots would help, since Math isn't the most popular module)

Thanks,
   Andrea.

Re: Release Notes: missing screenshots

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/05/2012 Armin wrote:
>
>> Andrea Pescetti  wrote:
>>
>>> - Enhanced chart visualization ...
>>>
>> To see the advantages,
>> try to zoom into a 3d chart in OOO3.3 and AOO3.4. This also gives enhanced
>> printing and exports, too.
>>

> Thanks! This is a really impressive improvement that surely deserved a
> screenshot. See the striking comparison (400% zoom of 3D chart) at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/download/**
> attachments/27835830/aoo340-**charts.png?version=1&**
> modificationDate=1336337745300<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27835830/aoo340-charts.png?version=1&modificationDate=1336337745300>
> that I now included in the Release Notes:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
> AOO+3.4+Release+Notes<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Notes>
>
> I didn't copy the image to
> http://www.openoffice.org/**development/releases/3.4.0.**html<http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.0.html>
> Anyone who is taking care of that page: please feel free to copy it.

OK, I  JUST brought this over yesterday...I can make a new copy...

> Does anyone have more information for a similar work (displaying the
> improvement with a screenshot) for the following two features, from my
> original request?
>
> - Formula: Automatic baseline for Math objects
> - Further development/bug fixes for DOCX import filter
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Release Notes: missing screenshots

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Armin <Ar...@me.com> wrote:

> Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Paolo is now coordinating volunteers that are translating the Release
> > Notes into Italian, and while quickly reviewing the original document
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-34-incubating-release-candidate.html
> > I have the impression that some paragraphs would be much clearer with a
> > screenshot or a sample document. For example, does anyone have more
> > information on the following items?
> >
> > - Further development/bug fixes for DOCX import filter
> > (a sample DOCX to test, or a screenshot showing the progress in import
> > would be very useful)
> >
> > - Enhanced chart visualization
> > (is this backend only or user-visible? if it's the latter, is there an
> > ODF available to test?)
>
> It basically means that internally the graphic objects are not exchanged
> using a metafile in old metafile format with integer coordinates, but
> primitves are used directly with all their possibilities. This removes two
> transformation steps and avoids losing quality, thus being faster and
> qualitatively better, e.g. when having charts with more than 65535 data
> points (the maximum for polygons in metafiles). Also positions are better
> due to double precision when zooming in or needing high resolutions. The
> main advantage is that 3d charts do not need to be visualized as bitmaps
> (metafiles do not know 3d at all, thus they need to be transported as
> bitmap), but stay in 3d geometry for visualisation. To see the advantages,
> try to zoom into a 3d chart in OOO3.3 and AOO3.4. This also gives enhanced
> printing and exports, too. One of the features which were forgotten to be
> mentioned in some publications recently...
>

> > - Formula: Automatic baseline for Math objects
> > (while it is well explained, again having a sample ODF file or
> > screenshots would help, since Math isn't the most popular module)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   Andrea.
>

> --
> ALG

Hi...I am just looking for the release notes to finish up some work on the
new DL index page. Could you please upload this doc to

http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/

and name it--

http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.0.html

in line with the others.