Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Henning von Bargen <H....@Triestram-Partner.de> on 2000/05/09 10:44:16 UTC

User Interface: XUL, XForms

Is anyone already using XUL (new in Netscape 6, a user interface language)?
How is it related to XForms?
Henning

Re: User Interface: XUL, XForms

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Henning von Bargen wrote:

> Is anyone already using XUL (new in Netscape 6, a user interface language)?

Good question.

I was starting to write an example of a nicely dynamic user interface
using XUL, but didn't have time to learn it....

If you guys come up with something, I'll be more than welcome to include
it into the distribution.

> How is it related to XForms?

Another good question.

To me, they should be orthogonal, which means: you can use XForms in XUL
or not. But they appear to be partially overlapping at this point.

XForms is a way to abstract input points for web applications, while XUL
is a way to abstract user interface modeling from page content.

What could we do to help? transform XForm markup into XUL + Javascript
on the server side if the client is Mozilla5 or HTML + CSS + Javascript
if the client is IE5.

Not easy, I know, but Cocoon's architecture already allows this, we just
need examples to show this power.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.