Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by TH...@Nationwide.com on 2005/02/21 23:52:46 UTC

Who else is in Derby's space?

Is derby meant to be an alternative on the scale of MySQL?  or will it be
aimed at giving HSQL users an alternative?

Thanks in advance,
Savan

Re: Who else is in Derby's space?

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
THONGVS@Nationwide.com wrote:

> Is derby meant to be an alternative on the scale of MySQL?  or will it
> be aimed at giving HSQL users an alternative?

Derby's roots in Cloudscape focused on the embedded database market -
typically some form of database that could be distributed with an
application rather than as a standalone RDBMS. This is kind of like
HSQLDB but in comparison Derby has many more capabilities (e.g.
multi-user isolation, reliably durable data, distributed transactions,
...) A lot of organizations have used MySQL in similar circumstances and
Derby may well provide an alternative there.

Another area is that of a simple but reliable data store for a web
application, perhaps in conjunction with a Java server such as Apache
Tomcat or Apache Geronimo; there have been a lot of installations of
HSQLDB and MySQL in those environments and if that is your situation
Derby may again be a good alternative.

Derby is also aimed at the mobile arena - for example, Dan's work on
JSR169 support.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend it for a 10TB datamart - well
not yet anyway :-)

In the end, it really depends on what you want to use it for.

--
Jeremy