Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by kzurek <kz...@proximetry.pl> on 2013/04/24 12:12:24 UTC

HBase - Performance issue

The problem is that when I'm putting my data (multithreaded client, ~30MB/s
traffic outgoing) into the cluster the load is equally spread over all
RegionServer with 3.5% average CPU wait time (average CPU user: 51%). When
I've added similar, mutlithreaded client that Scans for, let say, 100 last
samples of randomly generated key from chosen time range, I'm getting high
CPU wait time (20% and up) on two (or more if there is higher number of
threads, default 10) random RegionServers. Therefore, machines that held
those RS are getting very hot - one of the consequences is that number of
store file is constantly increasing, up to the maximum limit. Rest of the RS
are having 10-12% CPU wait time and everything seems to be OK (number of
store files varies so they are being compacted and not increasing over
time). Any ideas? Maybe  I could prioritize writes over reads somehow? Is it
possible? If so what would be the best way to that and where it should be
placed - on the client or cluster side)?

Cluster specification:
HBase Version	0.94.2-cdh4.2.0
Hadoop Version	2.0.0-cdh4.2.0
There are 6xDataNodes (5xHDD for storing data), 1xMasterNodes
Other settings:
 - Bloom filters (ROWCOL) set
 - Short circuit turned on
 - HDFS Block Size: 128MB
 - Java Heap Size of Namenode/Secondary Namenode in Bytes: 8 GiB
 - Java Heap Size of HBase RegionServer in Bytes: 12 GiB
 - Java Heap Size of HBase Master in Bytes: 4 GiB
 - Java Heap Size of DataNode in Bytes: 1 GiB (default)
Number of regions per RegionServer: 19 (total 114 regions on 6 RS)
Key design: <UUID><TIMESTAMP> -> UUID: 1-10M, TIMESTAMP: 1-N
Table design: 1 column family with 20 columns of 8 bytes

Get client:
Multiple threads
Each thread have its own tables instance with their Scanner.
Each thread have its own range of UUIDs and randomly draws beginning of time
range to build rowkey properly (see above).
Each time Scan requests same amount of rows, but with random rowkey.

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
What type of drives. controllers, and network bandwidth do you have?

Just curious.

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
We have this setting enabled also...

<property>
    <name>dfs.client.read.shortcircuit</name>
    <value>true</value>
</property>

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
What about providing the jstack as Lars suggested? That doesn't
require you to upgrade (yet)

0.94.23 is the same major version as 0.94.1. Upgrading to this version
is not the same process as a major upgrade from 0.92 to 0.94. Changes
like the split policy difference you mention don't happen in point
releases.  You should consider upgrading to the latest 0.94.x, if not
now than at some point, because a volunteer open source community
really can only support the latest release of a major version. You can
insist on working with a (now, very old) release, but we might not be
able to help you much.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
So you have large RS and you have large regions. Your regions are huge relative to your RS memory heap.
(Not ideal.)

You have slow drives (5400rpm) and you have 1GbE network.
Do didn’t say how many drives per server.

Under load, you will saturate your network with just 4 drives. (Give or take. Never tried 5400 RPM drives)
So you hit one bandwidth bottleneck there.
The other is the ratio of spindles to CPU.  So if you have 4 drives and 8 cores… again under load, you’ll start to see
an I/O bottleneck …

On average, how many regions do you have per table per server?

I’d consider shrinking your regions.

Sometimes you need to dial back from 11 do a more reasonable listening level… ;-)

HTH

-Mike

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

________________________________

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
Lars,

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by kzurek <kz...@proximetry.pl>.
I've following settings:
 hbase.master.handler.count = 25 (default value in CDH4.2)
 hbase.regionserver.handler.count = 20 (default 10)

Re: HBase - Performance issue

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi
           How many request handlers are there in ur RS?  Can you up this
number and see?

-Anoop-