Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 21:59:28 UTC

[DRLVM][GC] MMTk port now ready for write barrier integration

All,

A late night IM debug session with Steve Blackburn got the DRLVM/MMTk port
to the point where it makes sense to try write barrier integration.
All the mods I have been working on plus simple gc regression tests have
been committed to drlvm\trunk\vm\mmtk.  DRLVM/MMTk now runs the following
garabage collector algorithms in "user-mode":

marksweep
semispace
copyms
genms (with IGNORE_REMSETS = true)

By setting IGNORE_REMSETS=false, MMTk depends on fully implemented, correct
write barriers to do its job.

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [DRLVM][GC] MMTk port now ready for write barrier integration

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 9/4/06, Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Weldon,
>
> what is the "user-mode"?

Thanks for asking.  Basically I call MMTk's object alloc() routine from java
application code instead of from DRLVM JIT runtime helper.  I use vmmagic to
patch up stuff.  The trick is to hide the objects allocated out of MMTk's
heap from the underlying GCV4.  For more detail, please look at
drlvm/trunk/vm/mmtk/*.java files.

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.
Weldon,

what is the "user-mode"?