Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2017/10/01 19:19:15 UTC

Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Hi,

For API, server, and studio we have the "value" branches. Should we
merge them back to trunk/master?

Second question is if we should move to git/gitbox with all the
remaining projects (server, studio, mavibot, project)

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 28/10/2017 à 15:38, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 10/04/2017 09:33 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Side note : give me up to the end of this week so that I can commit some
>> pending changes I have for various projects, before reqesting the migration
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> did you commit all changes to ApacheDS and Studio value branches? I'd
> like to start git migration of those soon.

Actually, I'm trying to migrate to ehcache 3.4.0 (as this is what
Mavibot is using) and it's not exactly a piece of cake. I expect to be
done this week end though.

I'll keep you informed.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 28/10/2017 à 15:38, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 10/04/2017 09:33 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Side note : give me up to the end of this week so that I can commit some
>> pending changes I have for various projects, before reqesting the migration
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> did you commit all changes to ApacheDS and Studio value branches? I'd
> like to start git migration of those soon.

I still have some pending changes in ApacheDS value branch, Studio value
branch is ok.

I'll check in what is mising on apacheDS this afternoon

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 10/04/2017 09:33 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> So separate git repos for
>> - project
>> - apacheds
>> - studio
>> - jdbm
>> - mavibot
>> makes sense.
>
> +1. I would let aside jdbm, as we are very unlikely to modify it as soon
> as Mavibot will be ready.

Ok. I won't start a separate vote I think there is consensus :)

>> But does it make sense to create a separate repos for all the helper
>> projects (checkstyle-configuration, junit-additions, skins, docker)? Or
>> should we move them into a common repo. Currently they anyway live
>> within a common "buildtools" folder [1]
>
> +1 for buildtools.

Ok.

>> We drop the apacheds-manuals and ldap-api-manuals because those manuals
>> are now maintained in the CMS, right?
>
> correct.
>>
>> What about kerberos-client? There is no change since 2008 and Kerby took
>> over, right?. I'd rather move it to our "deceased" folder.
>
> Leave it where it is (ie, svn).

> Side note : give me up to the end of this week so that I can commit some
> pending changes I have for various projects, before reqesting the migration

Sure take your time, I won't start before the weekend.

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 03/10/2017 à 22:12, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 10/03/2017 09:57 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> Studio has been released, it's a good timing to have it migrated to git.
>>> The remaining parts are :
>>> - project (no brainer)
>>> - apacheds ( I still have a few commits to apply, but that would be fast)
>>> - kerberos-client (no brainer)
>>> - checkstyle-configuration (no brainer)
>>> - junit-addons (no brainer)
>>> - apacheds-manuals (unused)
>>> - ldap-api-manuals (unused)
>>> - jdbm (no brainer)
>>> - mavibot ( have some pending modifications for this one)
>>> - skins (no brainer)
>>> - docker (no brainer)
>> Ok, let's do it.
> Hm, thinking a bit longer...
>
> So separate git repos for
> - project
> - apacheds
> - studio
> - jdbm
> - mavibot
> makes sense.

+1. I would let aside jdbm, as we are very unlikely to modify it as soon
as Mavibot will be ready.

> But does it make sense to create a separate repos for all the helper
> projects (checkstyle-configuration, junit-additions, skins, docker)? Or
> should we move them into a common repo. Currently they anyway live
> within a common "buildtools" folder [1]

+1 for buildtools.

> We drop the apacheds-manuals and ldap-api-manuals because those manuals
> are now maintained in the CMS, right?

correct.

> What about kerberos-client? There is no change since 2008 and Kerby took
> over, right?. I'd rather move it to our "deceased" folder.

Leave it where it is (ie, svn).

Thanks Stefan !

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 10/03/2017 09:57 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 10/02/2017 10:50 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

>>> The other option is to move to git first.
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>> Studio has been released, it's a good timing to have it migrated to git.
>> The remaining parts are :
>> - project (no brainer)
>> - apacheds ( I still have a few commits to apply, but that would be fast)
>> - kerberos-client (no brainer)
>> - checkstyle-configuration (no brainer)
>> - junit-addons (no brainer)
>> - apacheds-manuals (unused)
>> - ldap-api-manuals (unused)
>> - jdbm (no brainer)
>> - mavibot ( have some pending modifications for this one)
>> - skins (no brainer)
>> - docker (no brainer)
>
> Ok, let's do it.

Hm, thinking a bit longer...

So separate git repos for
- project
- apacheds
- studio
- jdbm
- mavibot
makes sense.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/buildtools/

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 03/10/2017 à 21:57, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 10/02/2017 10:50 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

>>> The other option is to move to git first.
>> Indeed.
>>
>> Studio has been released, it's a good timing to have it migrated to git.
>> The remaining parts are :
>> - project (no brainer)
>> - apacheds ( I still have a few commits to apply, but that would be fast)
>> - kerberos-client (no brainer)
>> - checkstyle-configuration (no brainer)
>> - junit-addons (no brainer)
>> - apacheds-manuals (unused)
>> - ldap-api-manuals (unused)
>> - jdbm (no brainer)
>> - mavibot ( have some pending modifications for this one)
>> - skins (no brainer)
>> - docker (no brainer)
> Ok, let's do it.
>
> I'll start a formal vote for the git migration.
>
> I think now that gitbox is enabled for us we can just create new repos
> there, right?

I think so. Ldap API is already on gitbox. Now that we can select
'directory' PMC, we can create the needed repo ourselves using
https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/newrepo.html.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 02/10/2017 à 00:43, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> Le 01/10/2017 à 21:19, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>>> For API, server, and studio we have the "value" branches. Should we
>>> merge them back to trunk/master?
>> Actually, the simpler move would be to make the value branches the new
>> trunk. I took care of forward-porting any change made in
>> API/apacheds/studio into the equivalent Value branch.
> For API, as we already use git, that means force push the shared-value
> branch to origin/master I guess? I think the cleaner way is to use "git
> merge -s ours" [1]. I tested and it seems to work.
Great !

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 10/01/2017 11:46 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 01/10/2017 à 21:19, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> For API, server, and studio we have the "value" branches. Should we
>> merge them back to trunk/master?
>
> Actually, the simpler move would be to make the value branches the new
> trunk. I took care of forward-porting any change made in
> API/apacheds/studio into the equivalent Value branch.

For API, as we already use git, that means force push the shared-value
branch to origin/master I guess? I think the cleaner way is to use "git
merge -s ours" [1]. I tested and it seems to work.

For studio and apacheds as they are still in SVN we can do that. But I
hope the git mirrors like such a move because we want to use them then
for git migration.

>> Second question is if we should move to git/gitbox with all the
>> remaining projects (server, studio, mavibot, project)
>
> That would make sense to me.

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16171813/how-can-i-overwrite-not-merge-one-remote-branch-into-another-branch

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Oct 1, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> Second question is if we should move to git/gitbox with all the
> remaining projects (server, studio, mavibot, project)

+1

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 30/11/2017 à 22:32, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 10/01/2017 09:19 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For API, server, and studio we have the "value" branches. Should we
>> merge them back to trunk/master?
>>
>> Second question is if we should move to git/gitbox with all the
>> remaining projects (server, studio, mavibot, project)
> Now that git migration is done back to the first question :)
>
> Can we merge the "value" branches to master?

I think that is the plan.

> The branch exists in
> * Mavibot
> * LDAP API
> * Server
> * Studio
>
> The Mavibot branch doesn't compile. However I think we don't need to
> merge it right now because the Server branch still uses 1.0.0.M8 so
> doesn't depend on the branch.
Right. I still have some fixes to apply in Mavibot to make it compile,
at least in trunk.

> The other 3 branches compile but there are some test failures (~40 in
> API, ~80 in Server, 3 in Studio excluing UI tests). Otherwise it looks
> good, I can start Studio and run an ApacheDS can connect to it :)

I have 2 errors in API, due to some late changes I have done - and I
just have fixed some of the other failures in ldap-model -. I haven't
yet checked apacheds, but I belive the failures are all due to teh
change I made in teh API, related to the isHR flag in Value (this is
related to an issue reported in Studio 3 weeks ago). This should not be
too complex to fix.

> I'd suggest we first try to fix the tests in the branch first. I'll try
> to help, probably not much in the next days but next week then.
I'll take the necessary time to get this fixed. This was building 1
month ago, I broke it. We both have little time to dedicate to that,
don't waste your time fixing my mistakes :-)

Once we get both API and ApacheDS building, yes, we can merge them in
trunk. Note that the API has changed, so it should probably be a 2.0 at
this point.

Thanks !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 22/12/2017 à 10:07, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> lokking at the latest commits, I see :
>>

>> [directory-ldap-api] 01/01: Merge branch 'master' into shared-value
>>
>> and
>>
>> from 19af188  Merge branch 'master' into apacheds-value
>>

>> Should I understand you merged the trunk with the value branch for both
>> the API and ApacheDS ? or is the Master also contain the value branch
>> updates ?
>
> I did the following:
>
> 1. git checkout shared-value
> 2. git merge -s ours master
> 3. git checkout master
> 4. git merge shared-value
>
> In (2) I merged the master (trunk) into the value branch using the
> "ours" merge strategy which means the value branch head wins, see [1]
> for details. Then in (4) the result was merged back to master,
> unfortunately I did a fast-forward merge so no explicit commit
> value->master is visible.
>
> But yes, the master branches contain all changes of the value branches.

Ok, thanks. That means we can now consider the value branch a dead branch.

Happy christmas !!

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-merge#git-merge-ours

Re: Merge "value" branches to trunk/master and move to git

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 13/12/2017 à 00:59, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :

>>> Studio build is also successful. I'm going to merge the value branches
>>> to master for ldap-api, server, and studio.
>>
>> +1 !
>>
>> That will solve numerous issues in the server (and in studio)
>
> Done.
>
> ldap-api and server build fine on Jenkins. Studio still has some test
> errors on Jenkins (but worked on my machine), I'll investigate in the
> next days.

Hi Stefan

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.