Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Payal Rathod <pa...@scriptkitchen.com> on 2006/03/10 11:22:13 UTC

more pharmacy woes

Hi all,
I need help in decoding pharmacy spam again. I am getting 100s of them.
I have attached them at,
http://pastebin.ca/45108

Can someone tell how to block these things out?
With warm regards,
-Payal

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
I assume there was an html side of that that you didn't post, or else that
site ate it.

There isn't a huge amount to go on in what you posted.  The net checks are
probably the best bets, along possibly with Bayes.  The target uri should
show up in SURBL, and there is a good chance the source ip would have shown
up in some of the regular RBLs.

        Loren

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, March 10, 2006, 8:07:44 AM, Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 04:07:34PM +0530, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>> Do you use SURBL (surbl.org), URIBL (uribl.com) and collaborative
>> network tests like razor/pyzor/dcc?

> No, can you please tell in short how to use surbl exactly? I am very new
> to SA.

SURBL support is built into SpamAssassin 3.X if you enable
network tests:

  http://www.surbl.org/quickstart.html

  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#nettest

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Payal Rathod <pa...@scriptkitchen.com>.
On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:40:35PM +0530, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> For URIBL, see http://www.uribl.com/usage.shtml OR add this to your
> local.cf

I am getting an error which say,
2006-03-14_10:47:27.97266 2006-03-14 10:47:27 [17977] i: server killed
by SIGTERM, shutting down
2006-03-14_10:47:35.61742 Failed to run URIBL_GREY SpamAssassin test,
skipping:
2006-03-14_10:47:35.61747       (Can't locate object method
"check_uridnsbl" via package "Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus" at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
2312.
2006-03-14_10:47:35.61748 )
2006-03-14_10:47:35.61775 Failed to run URIBL_BLACK SpamAssassin test,
skipping:
2006-03-14_10:47:35.61776       (Can't locate object method
"check_uridnsbl" via package "Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus" at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
2312.

We are trying it on a friend's server at,
# spamassassin --version
SpamAssassin version 3.0.2
  running on Perl version 5.8.5

With warm regards,
-Payal

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Dhawal Doshy <dh...@netmagicsolutions.com>.
Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 04:07:34PM +0530, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>> Do you use SURBL (surbl.org), URIBL (uribl.com) and collaborative
>> network tests like razor/pyzor/dcc?
>
> No, can you please tell in short how to use surbl exactly? I am very new
> to SA.

What is your SA version? You'll need a recent Net::DNS installed for any
network tests.  You can also add 'dns_available yes' to your local.cf if
you have Net::DNS installed. If you're using spamd, make sure it's
started without the -L or --local flags.

SURBL support is built into spamassassin version 3.x onwards.. (see
Jeff's reply)

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Payal Rathod <pa...@scriptkitchen.com>.

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Dhawal Doshy <dh...@netmagicsolutions.com>.

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by Jeremy Fairbrass <jf...@hotmail.com>.
You could also easily filter based on the subject, if it's always something
obvious like "Parhamcy news", and perhaps on obvious misspellings like
"tabIet", "abIets" etc (note the i in stead of l). And I don't think it
would be too hard to create a special rule to search for a long string of
individual characters with spaces between them followed by a dollar-sign. :)

- Jeremy

Re: more pharmacy woes

Posted by "Mark Wendt (Contractor)" <ma...@nrl.navy.mil>.
We've been seeing the same thing.  It died out for a while, now the
fire hose has been opened again.  The latest batch seems to be in
"Living Color" too.  Different colors for different characters.

Mark