Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by rd...@apache.org on 2008/09/06 12:41:27 UTC

svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/

Author: rdonkin
Date: Sat Sep  6 03:41:26 2008
New Revision: 692627

Log:
Created directory to house protocols separated from server

Added:
    james/protocols/

Re: svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> however, it is now a working IMAP server. once StartTLS is added into
>>> the avalon sockets, it will be feature complete. AIUI IMAP is an
>>> important feature for James 3.0. that's why i proposed cutting an IMAP
>>> milestone from the current codebase before starting to rework mailbox
>>> data access.
>> In case you forgot there is an useful patch from Pietro Romanazzi for the
>> SMTPServer:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-290
>>
>> Maybe this can be easily adapted to IMAP, too.
>
> i would prefer startTLS to be managed in the socket layer. so
> hopefully the same solution can be applied.

+1

Stefano

Re: svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

<snip>

>> however, it is now a working IMAP server. once StartTLS is added into
>> the avalon sockets, it will be feature complete. AIUI IMAP is an
>> important feature for James 3.0. that's why i proposed cutting an IMAP
>> milestone from the current codebase before starting to rework mailbox
>> data access.
>
> In case you forgot there is an useful patch from Pietro Romanazzi for the
> SMTPServer:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-290
>
> Maybe this can be easily adapted to IMAP, too.

i would prefer startTLS to be managed in the socket layer. so
hopefully the same solution can be applied.

- robert

Re: svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> When we discussed this I thought you wanted to extract single module
>> libraries.
>
> no
>
> the other protocols are much less complex than IMAP so they would
> probably start with a single module.
>> Istead imap is an almost complete imap server and not only a
>> protocol handling library.
>
> a server also requires appropriate socket work. my vision was that a
> protocol library could be used quickly and efficient to build a server
> just by adding socket work and storage. IMHO there's definitely a gap
> in the market for this kind of product.

I agree..

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> rdonkin@apache.org ha scritto:
>>> Author: rdonkin
>>> Date: Sat Sep  6 03:41:26 2008
>>> New Revision: 692627

>>> Log:
>>> Created directory to house protocols separated from server
>>>
>>> Added:
>>>    james/protocols/
>> Maybe IMAP is big enough to deserve a top level component (james/imap) so we
>> don't increase our tree depth more than what we have now.
>>
>> mailet
>> - mailet-api
>> - mailet-base
>> - mailet-crypto
>> - mailet-standard
>> - maven-mailet-report
>> server
>> - user-api
>> - ...
>> - phoenix-deployment
>> jspf
>> - resolver
>> - tester
>> mime4j
>> jsieve
>> - (maybe will be splitted)
>> postage
>>

>> Adding a protocols increases the current tree depth from 2 to 3, while we
>> only need imap ATM.
>> imap
>> - imap-api
>> - ...
>> - imap-function
>>
>> So I would prefer to have imap and not protocols and we can introduce
>> protocols later once we'll have more than one product in there.
>
> we discussed this before and your suggestion (which i agreed with) was
> to adopt a design like mailet. i think mailet is working out quite
> well. it's reasonably easy to create a good subsite. this process is
> very much a draft and should be subject to a later review once
> everything's more complete. so i'd much rather trial your original
> proposal for a while.
>
> it shouldn't be a big issue to reorganise stuff later. i don't propose
> putting up a website etc until the changes have had a chance to bed in
> and be reviewed. we may well end up deciding then that it's better to
> switch to your new proposal.

When we discussed this I thought you wanted to extract single module
libraries. Istead imap is an almost complete imap server and not only a
protocol handling library.

BTW this was only a statement of personal preference, nothing that
should stop progress.

Stefano

Re: svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.