Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2002/08/23 14:34:02 UTC

Cross-project integration w/ Maven (Re: [wip] refactoring the build.)

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:33:48PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:
> > > (as I tried to explain in an earlier posting: this
> > > centralized/remote running of stuff in fact addresses
> > > cross-project metapattern: maving doing that?)

> > Not explicitly, though IIRC some plugins do offer
> > remote deployment, and
> > Maven's reactor lets you run targets in multiple
> > projects, taking into account
> > inter-project dependencies.
> >

> this does interest me, some directed pointer to a doc that
> explains more?

There are no formal docs on the reactor, just some emails[1] and IRC
logs. Currently it's like a  <foreach> tag that iterates over projects,
sorts them by inter-project dependency, and runs some targets. Here's an
impressive demonstration of inter-project consistency:

http://jakarta.apache.org/~jvanzyl/jakarta-commons/index.html

Here is the Commons maven.xml file that generates that site:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/maven.xml?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>From various emails[2,3], it sounds like they want to extend Maven to be
a Cruisecontrol-like continuous integration tool, replacing Gump, doing
nightly builds etc.

In other words, Maven is well on it's way to achieving many of the goals
in Forrest's "dream list". That's why I think Forrest as a tightly
integrated Maven plugin would be pretty neat.

--Jeff

[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102992940308157&w=2

Re: Cross-project integration w/ Maven (Re: [wip] refactoring the build.)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

>>>Not explicitly, though IIRC some plugins do offer
>>>remote deployment, and
>>>Maven's reactor lets you run targets in multiple
>>>projects, taking into account
>>>inter-project dependencies.
>>>

>>this does interest me, some directed pointer to a doc that
>>explains more?
>

> There are no formal docs on the reactor, just some emails[1] and IRC
> logs. Currently it's like a  <foreach> tag that iterates over projects,
> sorts them by inter-project dependency, and runs some targets.

Hmmm... ever heard of Gump? ;-)

> Here's an
> impressive demonstration of inter-project consistency:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/~jvanzyl/jakarta-commons/index.html

Impressive? Yeah, if I have all the docs in the same format I can do
that with a couple of lines in an Ant buildfile.

> Here is the Commons maven.xml file that generates that site:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/maven.xml?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
>>>From various emails[2,3], it sounds like they want to extend Maven to be
> a Cruisecontrol-like continuous integration tool, replacing Gump, doing
> nightly builds etc.

Gump already does it, nothing new under the sun.
Centipede uses Gump descriptors for regular compilation, so that they
can be kept more uptodate.

> In other words, Maven is well on it's way to achieving many of the goals
> in Forrest's "dream list". That's why I think Forrest as a tightly
> integrated Maven plugin would be pretty neat.

Forrest will remain Forrest, which means that it must me able to work
  - by itself
  - in Ant
  - in Maven
  - you name it

Forrest is already working as a bot since some time now.

That's why I think Maven as a tightly integrated Forrest plugin would be
pretty neat. ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -