Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt Vance <mv...@pobox.com> on 2006/06/22 15:32:42 UTC

Subversion roll-out strategy questions?

I work on a team of web developers and designers for a university and we
would like to implement Subversion on our testing server. While we all
recognize the need for some kind of version control, none of us have
much experience in the area. I think that everyone is a little hesitant
to get started because we don't want to get things wrong from the outset
and saddle ourselves with a screwed up implementation.

Our testing server is a Red Hat box which we access primarily via Samba
shares. Our sysadmin has installed Subversion for us, but he has little
experience with it either, so nothing has been added to it yet. We use
mostly PCs, with the occasional Mac. Our files are primarily html,
graphics, and some php.

Should we just dive in head first by adding everything into Subversion
and fumble our way along? Or is there some easier way to gradually get
everyone up to speed? I'm open to any suggestions, advice, or pointers.
Will Subversion be easy enough for our part-time student workers to be
able to handle without screwing things up?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Subversion roll-out strategy questions?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Matt Vance wrote:
> I work on a team of web developers and designers for a university and
> we would like to implement Subversion on our testing server. While we
> all recognize the need for some kind of version control, none of us
> have much experience in the area. I think that everyone is a little
> hesitant to get started because we don't want to get things wrong
> from the outset and saddle ourselves with a screwed up implementation.
>
> Our testing server is a Red Hat box which we access primarily via
> Samba shares. Our sysadmin has installed Subversion for us, but he
> has little experience with it either, so nothing has been added to it
> yet. We use mostly PCs, with the occasional Mac. Our files are
> primarily html, graphics, and some php.
>
> Should we just dive in head first by adding everything into Subversion
> and fumble our way along? Or is there some easier way to gradually get
> everyone up to speed? I'm open to any suggestions, advice, or
> pointers. Will Subversion be easy enough for our part-time student
> workers to be able to handle without screwing things up?

Do a sample project: for example, start with an internal web page or other
modest project. This gets you a chance to learn about authentication,
backup, etc. and how to merge it into your environment.

Also note that the 64-bit use of Subversion, at least via RPM installation,
requires a modest patch to David Summers published SRPM's.

RE: Subversion roll-out strategy questions?

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
Luckily when I installed SVN on a Linux RHEL3.5 server I ran into no
problems! Beginner's luck? :)

I dowloaded the latest for rhle3.5 and installed them in the following order
as root or sudo:

1. sudo rpm -i neon-0.24.7-1.i386.rpm  (or latest)
2. sudo rpm -i subversion-LATEST-stable-version.rhel.i386.rpm
3. sudo rpm -i mod-dav-svn-LATEST-stable-version.rhel.i386.rpm
4. sudo rpm -i subversion-tools-LATEST-stable-version.rhel.i386.rpm
5. sudo rpm -i swig~.rpm (if you're going to install perl or python
bindings)
6. sudo rpm -i perl or pythom.rhel*.rpm

if no error msgs...then type svn at the prompt to see the svn get help
reply. Then I created my repo,  imported my project from cvs, set up apache,
my admin files, email notifications, etc.

The installation and set up took me about an hour but the killer was the
cvs2svn conversion that took about 15 hrs.

Good luck :)

[...]

Posted by ja...@subversus.org.
Well, if you haven't already read them, there's no better place to start
than:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

And assuming you want to use TortoiseSVN for your Windows systems:

http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/?q=support

Both are excellent references for Subversion (the first being more generic,
the second being more focused on TSVN, but still providing some additional
support).

Fumbling along on something is seldom the best approach, especially with
something as complex as version control.  IMO, you should come up with some
plan to set up SVN server / clients, a plan to structure your SVN
repository/repositories, a plan to import that data into that structure, and
a plan to train your initial users to use the system.  This requires some
effort initially by at least one "point of contact individual" to ensure a
smooth transition, but in the long run I think you'll make fewer mistakes
and be happier overall with your experience.  And then along the way this
mailing list (and especially the archive) will answer questions that arise.