Posted to users@maven.apache.org by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/25 09:53:24 UTC

Releasing from multiple modules

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Maven2 and haven't used it much in situations more
complex than those described in the documentation. But now I have hit
an issue that I haven't been able to find much documentation on this
subject[1], so I wanted to confirm what the suggested best practice is
in this area and get feedback on how others are managing this area.

I have multiple SVN modules. Some of these modules contain multiple
Maven2 modules.

A simple example:

* SVN module common - contains a single Maven module of common utility
Java code, produces a JAR.

* SVN module webapp-A - contains multiple Maven modules, separating
out the layers of the application. The Core depends on the
afore-mentioned common jar as well as a host of third-party stuff. The
top level POM produces are WAR.

* SVN module webappB - Similar to webappA.

Currently, we are developing in the trunk and all of the dependencies
are on a 1.0-SNAPSHOT. Now we are getting to the point of requiring a
release, which should take the form of an installer at some point, but
I'll settle for a zip file with documentation at this point.

So, the route that I think I should follow is to create a new SVN
module that will contain a single Maven module. This should use the
modules webappA and webappB to get the WAR files and package that up
appropriately into a zip file. This module can also contain
JIRA-generated release notes, etc.

Also, I would like to use the Maven release process to interact with
SVN where possible.

1. Does the described process sound like a sensible approach that
others are employing successfully?

2. Is there a tool to help me do this? It feels like I'll have to walk
the directed acyclic graph manually, releasing each one and altering
POMs to reference non-SNAPSHOT versions. Given that I might have tens
of SVN modules, that feels pretty laborious.

Cheers,

James

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/How+to+handle+releases+with+multiple+SNAPSHOT+dependents

Re: Releasing from multiple modules

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

see http://mojo.codehaus.org/build-helper-maven-plugin/attach-artifact-mojo.html

Re: Releasing from multiple modules

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, that's what I was missing.

Cheers,

James

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, another follow-up.

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello again.

So I've gone through a release cycle for all of my modules, which was
a long process, and ironed out a few cycles that had crept into the
dependencies. Now I am at the stage where I have two modules that
create WAR files and I have pursued my original suggestion of creating
another SVN / Maven2 module to package that up. I would be happy with
just a zip of some form as a first draft; I can worry about
integrating it with an installer at a later date.

So, I have a POM like this:

  <parent>
    <groupId>com.example</groupId>
    <artifactId>master-pom</artifactId>
    <version>1</version>
  </parent>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.example.installer</groupId>
  <artifactId>the-installer</artifactId>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>My Company Platform Installer</name>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
  <dependencies />
  <dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.example.someGroup-A</groupId>
            <artifactId>webapp-A</artifactId>
            <type>war</type>
            <version>1.2</version>
            <scope></scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.example.someOtherGroupId-B</groupId>
            <artifactId>webapp-B</artifactId>
            <type>war</type>
            <version>1.3</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
  </dependencyManagement>
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <descriptor>src/main/assembly/dep.xml</descriptor>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</project>

I have a simple assembly configuration - src/main/assembly/dep.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!--
    maven-assembly-plugin assembly configuration for pulling together the
    assembly for the installer
-->
<assembly>
    <formats>
        <format>zip</format>
    </formats>
    <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
    <fileSets>
        <fileSet>
            <directory>/</directory>
            <excludes>
                <!-- Exclude Eclipse meta-data file. -->
                <exclude>.project</exclude>
                <!-- Don't include the assembly itself. -->
                <exclude>src/main/assembly/**</exclude>
                <exclude>target/archive-tmp/**</exclude>
            </excludes>
        </fileSet>
    </fileSets>
    <dependencySets>
        <dependencySet>
            <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
            <unpack>true</unpack>
            <scope>runtime</scope>
        </dependencySet>
    </dependencySets>
</assembly>

The two WARs are installed into our internal repository (and in my
local repository), but no request is made to retrieve them. What am I
missing?

Cheers,

James

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.