Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/03/14 15:22:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Establish the cloudstack-announce mailing list

Dear community,

I would like to establish the cloudstack-announce mailing list.

The primary purpose of this mailing list will be to post release
announcements to.

It is important that we provide high signal channels through which people
can discover project status.

I have two use cases in mind. Firstly, the user who is not interested in
participating on the mailing lists, and just wants to know about new
releases. Secondly, a downstream packager, or third party, that needs to
put their own release machinery into gear.

If nobody objects in 72 hours, I will assume lazy consensus and establish
the list.

NS

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Joe,

It would be for release announcements and security announcements only.

The meet-ups/events thing is another problem... ;)

--
NS

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Looks like we have lazy consensus here.

With our graduation looming, I will wait a little while before requesting
the list.

--
NS

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
Yep great idea, concur on everything so far (not for events). If you need yet another mod, add me. :)

John

On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> (Sorry, and yes, moderation only. Thanks. I'll put you down as a mod.)
>

> On 14 March 2013 17:12, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013, at 09:22 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>>> Dear community,
>>>
>>> I would like to establish the cloudstack-announce mailing list.
>>>
>>> The primary purpose of this mailing list will be to post release
>>> announcements to.
>>
>> Will we limit it to release and security/high-priority bugfix
>> announcements, or will we also use it for events, etc.?
>>
>> There's some question of where we should send event announcements to, if
>> any. Do people on -dev, for instance, want to see an email about a
>> regional meetup?
>>
>>> If nobody objects in 72 hours, I will assume lazy consensus and establish
>>> the list.
>>
>> I'm +1 and also willing to help moderate the list. I'm assuming this
>> list would only allow postings that are moderated (e.g., subscribers
>> cannot send email to the list without moderation, so we don't get
>> replies to announcements).
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> jzb
>> --
>> Joe Brockmeier
>> jzb@zonker.net
>> Twitter: @jzb
>> http://www.dissociatedpress.net/
>>

> --
> NS

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:38:24PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> Daniel Shahaf asks us if we plan to make a release before graduation. If
> yes, I suspect we ought to create this now. If not, let's wait.

Unknown.  We have 4.0.2 and a 4.1.0 working towards a release right now.
We also have our graduation vote (timing as laid out in the update email
from earlier) ongoing.  If we do happen to make it into the board
meeting next week, then we won't be making a release before then.  If we
have to wait for next month's board meeting, then we *hope* that we will
release before then.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> That really depends on whether our resolution gets in front of the board
> this month or next. 4.0.2 is pretty close, and 4.1.0 would probably ship
> before the April board meeting.

Following up on the conversation in IRC.
Perhaps waiting to see if we appear on the agenda for next weeks board
meeting is in order.
It's only a few days delay and likely to tell us which method is more apropos.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Establish the cloudstack-announce mailing list

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:27:17PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> P.S. Thanks, David!

I'm also happy to mod the list.

Re: [DISCUSS] Establish the cloudstack-announce mailing list

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
P.S. Thanks, David!

--
NS