Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by St...@swisscom.com on 2003/08/25 16:10:08 UTC

Separating jetspeed code and own development

Hi there!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to split jetspeed code and my own
code to make life and for instance upgrading easier. For example, by
default, actions go in the org.apache.etc... Package, but i  want them
to go in my own package structure - how do I configure it? Building the
default app generates a jar, but it's not used in the war - why is that?

How do I separate jetspeed templates from my own?

I'm looking for best practises.

All feedback is warmely welcomed.

Cheers,

Stefan

Re: Separating jetspeed code and own development

Posted by Helmut Tammen <HT...@htsystemloesungen.de>.
Configuration of the modules in WEB-INF/conf/TurbineResource.properties:
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#  M O D U L E  P A C K A G E S
#
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
# This is the "classpath" for Turbine.  In order to locate your own
# modules, you should add them to this path.  For example, if you have
# com.company.actions, com.company.screens, com.company.navigations,
# then this setting would be "com.company,org.apache.turbine.modules".
# This path is searched in order.  For example, Turbine comes with a
# screen module named "Login".  If you wanted to have your own screen
# module named "Login", then you would specify the path to your
# modules before the others.
#
# Default: org.apache.turbine.modules
# -------------------------------------------------------------------

# These look like mostly ECS modules
module.packages=com.your.package.modules
module.packages=org.apache.jetspeed.modules
module.packages=org.apache.turbine.modules

Configuration of velocity templates in
WEB-INF/conf/TurbineResource.properties:
# This parameter supports a comma separated list of directories
# Each directory is searched in order to find a template.
# This is useful for example, in defining application specific templates
in a separate structure from the jetspeed core templates
# Note this needs to be set in 3 places - for the jsp loader and vm
loader in TR.p and for the template locator in JR.p
services.VelocityService.file.resource.loader.path =
/WEB-INF/templates/vm,/WEB-INF/templates_xxx/vm

Configuration of JSP template in WEB-INF/conf/TurbineResource.properties:
# This parameter supports a comma separated list of directories
# Each directory is searched in order to find a template.
# This is useful for example, in defining application specific templates
in a separate structure from the jetspeed core templates
# Note this needs to be set in 3 places - for the jsp loader and vm
loader in TR.p and for the template locator in JR.p
services.JspService.templates
=/WEB-INF/templates/jsp,/WEB-INF/templates_xxx/jsp

There is another tuning in /WEB-INF/conf/JetspeedResources.properties
that I donĀ“t really understand.
# This parameter supports a comma separated list of directories
# Each directory is searched in order to find a template.
# This is useful for example, in defining application specific templates
in a separate structure from the jetspeed core templates
# Note this needs to be set in 3 places - for the jsp loader and vm
loader in TR.p and for the template locator in JR.p
services.TemplateLocator.templateRoot=/WEB-INF/templates,/WEB-INF/templates_xxx

You can of course also choose other directory names.

RE: Separating jetspeed code and own development

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to split jetspeed code and my own
> code to make life and for instance upgrading easier. For example, by
> default, actions go in the org.apache.etc... Package, but i  want them
> to go in my own package structure - how do I configure it? Building the
> default app generates a jar, but it's not used in the war - why is that?

The .jar file is used when you build using release_war target.

> How do I separate jetspeed templates from my own?
>
> I'm looking for best practises.

Take a look at "Maven usage notes for release 1.4b4" in README. There's a
way to separate your jetspeed customizations and use jetspeed:war goal to
build a custom portal application based on Jetspeed binary distribution. I
have several applications being built this way but I don't have the time to
write up a "white paper" on this.

Also, the Jetspeed Tutorial uses similar technique - perhaps that is your
best place to start.

Best regards,

Mark C. Orciuch
Next Generation Solutions, Ltd.
e-Mail: mark_orciuch@ngsltd.com
web: http://www.ngsltd.com

Re: Separating jetspeed code and own development

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 07:10  AM, <St...@swisscom.com>
wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to split jetspeed code and my own
> code to make life and for instance upgrading easier. For example, by
> default, actions go in the org.apache.etc... Package, but i  want them
> to go in my own package structure - how do I configure it? Building the
> default app generates a jar, but it's not used in the war - why is
> that?
>
> How do I separate jetspeed templates from my own?

> I'm looking for best practises.

See the Jetspeed Tutorial.
It demonstrates how to keep your source separate and comes with
automated merging tasks for Ant

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software